Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 4:21:04 PM EDT
Curious to see if anyone elses RAS II fits like mine does. I just bought it recently and after installing it as per Knights instructions I noticed that it has a little bit of play to it. Is this inherent in the free floating handguards or is it particular to the RAS II. I have a CQD vertical grip installed and when I rock the grip back and forth I feel the RAS shift in the front where the bottom handguard inserts into the top handguard. I can do the same thing by just grabbing the two handguards all the way to the front and squeezing them together with my fingers. Just a very little amount of play but I wondered if it was normal. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is rock solid.  Check your screws.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think I can get them any tighter. It's not on the receiver end where the two screws are that I have the play, it's at the front sight side that it is doing it. I can grab the two rails with two fingers one on the top and the other on the bottom and sqeeze them together and get a little play where the bottom slides into the top handguard. I can actually make them click when I squeeze them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like something is wrong with yours.

Mine and all others I have handled are all rock solid in the front area.

Check and see if the two front tabs on the bottom rail that slide into the corresponding top rail are not bent or broken.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't realize you had a separate post on this issue, so i copied my response, hope this helps:

Quoted:
Curious to see if your RAS II fits like mine does. I just bought it recently and after installing it as per Knights instructions I noticed that it has a little bit of play to it. Is this inherent in the free floating handguards or is it particular to the RAS II. I have a CQD vertical grip installed and when I rock the grip back and forth I feel the RAS shift in the front where the bottom handguard inserts into the top handguard. I can do the same thing by just grabbing the two handguards all the way to the front and squeezing them together with my fingers. Just a very little amount of play but I wondered if it was normal. Thanks.

That is normal for the area you described.  For the benifit of those who don't have a RAS II in front of them to refrence, this is the area toward the muzzle, where the lower handguard is retained by hooking (more or less) into cutouts in the upper handguard section.  The rear of the lower guard can either be retained by the force of the delta ring (like regular HGs for quick removal & swap to an M203), or secured by the clamp to the barrel nut.

This lower section will have some play in it because regardless of the rear clamped area, the front is only hooked in.  The one-piece top handguard should be absolutely rigid, as it comprises both the top rail (for optics/lasers) and the side rail. (lasers/lights)

I noticed this too the first time i took mine out, but not to worry, this lower section does not have to be absolutely rigid unless your using a laser mounted on the bottom rail.

Tex78  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I didn't realize you had a separate post on this issue, so i copied my response, hope this helps:

Quoted:
Curious to see if your RAS II fits like mine does. I just bought it recently and after installing it as per Knights instructions I noticed that it has a little bit of play to it. Is this inherent in the free floating handguards or is it particular to the RAS II. I have a CQD vertical grip installed and when I rock the grip back and forth I feel the RAS shift in the front where the bottom handguard inserts into the top handguard. I can do the same thing by just grabbing the two handguards all the way to the front and squeezing them together with my fingers. Just a very little amount of play but I wondered if it was normal. Thanks.

That is normal for the area you described.  For the benifit of those who don't have a RAS II in front of them to refrence, this is the area toward the muzzle, where the lower handguard is retained by hooking (more or less) into cutouts in the upper handguard section.  The rear of the lower guard can either be retained by the force of the delta ring (like regular HGs for quick removal & swap to an M203), or secured by the clamp to the barrel nut.

This lower section will have some play in it because regardless of the rear clamped area, the front is only hooked in.  The one-piece top handguard should be absolutely rigid, as it comprises both the top rail (for optics/lasers) and the side rail. (lasers/lights)

I noticed this too the first time i took mine out, but not to worry, this lower section does not have to be absolutely rigid unless your using a laser mounted on the bottom rail.

Tex78  

I've got mine right in front of me and cannot get anything to move.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting!

Do you guys have Shot Show Specials or earlier models

I purchased mine a little over a year ago.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Interesting!

Do you guys have Shot Show Specials or earlier models

I purchased mine a little over a year ago.

RAS II SSS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine doesn't say SSS anywhere, it says RAS II part #22156. Does that make it an older model and if so what are the differences.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mine doesn't say SSS anywhere, it says RAS II part #22156. Does that make it an older model and if so what are the differences.
Thanks.

I don't think it's supposed to say SSS on it.  The Shot Show Special was special pricing that Knights released for the RAS II (i.e. ~$276 for RAS II, VFG, and extra rail panel).
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking a possible QC issue with some of the Shot Show Specials but who knows
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have mine in my lap right now and I can not make anything move.  Only thing I can think of is that when you pull back on the vertical grip you could compressing the lower rail into the delta ring as that is spring loaded and making it move a little.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#15]
No that's not it either, it's not the pull back motion against the ring. Like I said it's more the bottom half movement in it's channel.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Take it apart, reinstall.  You may have inadvertantly not had the clamps of the RAS II lock into the barrel nut properly, allowing the unit to shift.  

Mine as absolutely no movement.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine has absolutly no movement whatsoever.  I would try to reinstall it if I would you, maybe you didn't get the bottom locking point under the bbl nut before you tightened it down.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No that's not it either, it's not the pull back motion against the ring. Like I said it's more the bottom half movement in it's channel.

Hmm.  I would try reinstalling it.  Here is a link for the instrctions they are much eaiser to read than the paper one that comes with the unit.  quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/rasii22243inst.pdf

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought the SHOT Show Special and mine is rock solid as well. Reinstall the whole thing making sure you get the clamp on the upper and lower portions. If you still have a little bit of play, I'd call Knight's.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine doesn't move at all.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought my RAS II long before the SSS.  The movement I refer to in the lower handguard is very very slight, but it is there.  It's best noticed when you press the rifle hard into the carpet floor, with some cloth to cushion a little.  Now pulling on the forwardhandle from side to side you can feel it move maybe a 32nd, or a 64th of an inch. (a little subjective however.)

Tex78
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#22]
mine locks up tight with no play at all.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine is rock solid. I freaked out once when I felt some wobble, but my front hand grip was a little loose, that's all.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the SSS too. I have noticed that I can make the front section "click" when I put the vert frip in the middle and really torque on it. This problem seems to go away the futher forward the RASII is installed. The RASII is really close to the front handgaurd cap like this but it is rock solid, no click. I didn't like how close it was getting to the front handgaurd cap as the RASII is a free floater system. I now have it installed all the way back (large gap between handgaurd cap and RASII) but  with a "gasket" ,or a shim. I got matches and torr off the cover and split the cover in 1/2  by rolling it in my palms, I then cut off small, thin strips of paper and  lined the  front part of the RASII with it (the  part that hooks the halves together).

It worked perfectly, no more click. Let it be known that the click was nothing to worry about.  the gap that caused this was so small I won't even guess. the only reason I put the gasket ther is because I am nothing more than an Armchair commando,  so the click kinda buged me. It in no way affected the performace  of the unit.  The RASII is great.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top