Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 8:10:35 PM EDT
Do any of you think lowers that are A1 style or before without the whole raised fence area would be a good option for those of us who would like to build a semi A1 or XM177 without the new A2 reinforcements that would make such a rifle or carbine look more correct?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I know I'd buy one or more.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I would love to build a first run XM177E1 especially because of the kits you can get minus the lower.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I could see getting one for an XM177 build in the future.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get one for a Xm177 clone  depending on price
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe just a little more money as they would have to do a little extra machining around the rear of the receiver and under neath the front pivot hole.I agree though they would have to keep it within the price range of standard lowers unless made by say bushmaster then it would be like a $200 receiver but RRA or MEGA say they could keep it in the $120 $125 range that would be great.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You can try, but I spoke with the two major AR15 lower manufacturers and they basically said no dice, unless I ordered 1000 units, and even then the cost to bring them to market would be too high....$275.....350 per stripped lower. Most people won't pay that much.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't understand, if ppl make old style uppers, why can't they make old style lowers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I would buy at least two of them if they were even remotely affordable. One for my M16A1 clone and the other for my Mk12 MOD1. Both of these currently sit on A2 lowers out of neccesity.

On the same subject, has anybody checked out the new run of lowers - available forged and cast - from Essential Arms? They're advertising them again in Shotgun News, and what makes them interesting is that the line drawing that accompanies their ad is definitely that of an A1 lower! I wonder if it's a true representation or just an artists fancy?

I've bought one of their aluminum collapsable 2-position mil-dimension stocks in the past and was favorably impressed with the quality. Now I'm curious about their new lowers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
P;ease, get some built!  I'd buy two of them for sure; and maybe three.  Personally, I'd rather have the A1 type, withe the mag release fence, but I'd take 'em either way
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Personally, I'd rather have the A1 type, withe the mag release fence, but I'd take 'em either way

Same here.  I'd rather build a clone of an early military issued weapon than a copy of the SP1.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the whole fence also but just wanted the one piece fence to do an XM177E1.Gonna check out essential arms and mail them and see if they indeed offer an old style lower,hope so
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
CMT and LMT were the two I contacted that said basically no way....unless I placed a minimum of 1000-1500 units.  Not willing to lay out that much cash for something that may not sell.  More and more people want A1 lowers for replica builds, but not enough really care and will just use the current A2 lowers....especially if they run half 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

Essential arms is making A2 style lowers. They are starting with Cast and working on making forged units some time after the first of the year.....just talked to them two days ago.

Best bet for the replica builders is to find older PWA, SGW(Olympic) Sendra, Eagle Arms or Bushmaster lowers made before 1991.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I want A1 lowers.  If they're made with the Mag fence, that is easy to mill off for that Colt 601 prototype/SP1 look.  The hard part to mill is the reinforcement ring on the receiver extension.

I would only buy A1 receivers if possible, and if they are ever offered, I would sell all my A2 receivers and re-do all of my rifles with A1 receivers.

GIVE US THE A1 RECEIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I always heard that History repeats itself.

I'd like one as well.

Danny

Hoping, waiting and praying.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top