Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 6:36:08 PM EDT
Hey guys.

I've been hanging around this board for about 2 years, however never got around to signing-up/posting.  Well, I'm having a bit of a problem and figured this was a good time to go ahead and get involved more personally on these forums.

I'm 20 years old and bought my first AR on my 18th bday.  I've been shooting my whole life (learned to shoot before I learned to ride a bike), and was always interested in the AR15, however my father and my uncle are both very avid and proud Mini-14 owners, so my father never purchased an AR.

Anyway...

I bought an OlyArms PCR, 16"bbl A2.  And I love it.  However, I had an old school Aimpoint 1000 mounted on the carry handle, and I got annoyed of the crappy cheek weld.  So I went ahead and bought a RRA flattop upper and collapsable stock and had it installed.  This was just about a month ago.  I was SO happy, I finally felt perfectly happy with my setup.  I took it to the range and sighted in both the aimpoint and BUIS.   Probably put 200 rounds through it that day.  Well, I'm back at school now and I was sitting here playing with it when 2 or 3 times I couldn't pull the charging handle back all the way.  It would stop about half-way back.  I thought it was odd, but just dismissed it as being dirty, and well with turkey season around the corner I decided to give it a good scrubbing, hasn't been done in a while.  Well, I finished cleaning the bolt and began just a wipe down of the upper receiver.  I noticed a big ass scratch on its inside opposite of the ejection port about 2 mm up.  It's a little bit smaller then a pinky finger nail.  I NEVER noticed something like this on my old OlyArms upper.  Now, is this something I may just have overlooked, but was there.  What I mean is, is this regular wear and tear on an upper?  Is this typical?  Since I cleaned it, I haven't gotten the action to get stuck again, so maybe it's not what was causing the malfuntion.  However, since I do not have another AR (yet) to compare it too and no longer have the old A2 upper, I have no idea if this is out of the ordinary.  

I was going to post this in Troubleshooting.  However, I don't know if this is a real problem.  I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else before.  If not, maybe I should take it back to the gunsmith I bought it from.

Oh yeah, ammo.  Probably should mention what I was shooting.  I shot a few boxes of Remington PMC and Winchester.  Both 55gr.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your comments.

Rob.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
So you never figuured out what got stuck?  It could have been dirt or even a bar primer that caused the scratch.  If the action is still smooth, I wouldn't worry about it.  If it happens again, try and see what's wrong right away.

Are you still using the Aimpoint 1000?  Do you have it sitting on the flattop or did you use a riser?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I may not have explained it correctly.  The rifle was empty, and I was just messing around in my apt. dry firing it.  A couple of times that I pulled the charging handle, I could only pull it back halfway.  Even when this occured, I could let go and it would slam home,  however if there was a round in the magazine, it wouldn't have gone back far enough to catch it.  I reliazed when this would occur, the bolt was only being pulled back as far as scratch/crevice/notch w/e that i found on the upper.

Yes, I still use the aimpoint.  I'm hoping of eventually getting rid of my front sight post and replacing it with a flip-up so I could mount the aimpoint directly on the upper w/o the riser.  It was a *bit* low, however I wouldn't mind having a red dot so close to the barrel and could probably adjust to it.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Well you said you put 200 rounds through it.  I was guessing that you never cleaned it before you were playing with it.  It could have ben dirt or something hanging up in the receiver.  If nothing is hanging up now, I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's a really really deep gouge.

The first reddot I ever used was an Aimpoint 1000.  I actually still owe my friend since I broke the knob off of it.  Instead of milling the front sight, you should look into getting of of the newer/bigger ones.  It makes target aquisition much quicker, plust you never have to worry about the front sight failing/losing zero if you ever need it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have looked into some new optics.  It's just, as of now I'm pretty happy with the current setup, and being a college student, it's kind of difficult to justify paying for a new Aimpoint or EOtech, when thats almost half the price of a whole new rifle!

So I guess I'll just ignore this deformity.  However, if it ever causes my rifle to fail me (which it has not done once yet), I think I'm going to get a replacement.

Btw, thanks for you help.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
When you inserted the telescopic stock it should have been screwed in far enough to hold down the plunger that stops and retains the buffer leavin the "nipple" up and in place.  If the stock wasnt screwed in far enough to hold down the plunger it will sneak up and jam the bolt carrier as it tries to slide during charging or recoil.....this just happened to me two days ago and I realized that I hadnt inserted the stock far enough to hold the plunger down all the way so it came out and seized the bolt carrier......played hell trying to get it apart to see what happened as the bolt carrier was halfway back and jambed.........works fine now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm really not sure *exactly* what you're talking about.  I'll look up the assembly of the stock and see what I can find.  

Thing is, if that was indeed the problem.  Wouldn't that prevent me from charging it every single time?

R.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]
He's talking about the buffer retaining detent.  It's at the rear of the receiver holting the buffer in the tube.  The piece you have to push down to get the buffer out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top