Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 4:02:48 PM EDT
I need some advise.  I'm considering my first AR15 purchase in a couple of weeks at the Wanamaker Gun Show in Tulsa.  I'm not too familiar with all the different manufacturers.  I'm considering a Colt or a Bushmaster, however am open to suggestions.  I'd prefer to purchase a NIB.  What kind of prices might I see at the show???  Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with colt but bushmaster is good and cheaper than colt and here's a pretty good price. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Bushmaster_Sunset_Rifles___Preban_features_.html

Item#Bush-BCWA2S20  A2 Type: $719.95ea
Item#Bush-BCWA3S20  A3 Type: $789.95ea
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't go wrong with a Buhsmaster and you won't go wrong with a Colt (if you can get one).  The Bushmaster is cheaper and it  is comparable to the Colt in all aspects.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Please, do not purchase at a gun show until you have done your research. You should not pay more than $1,000 for any AR. Gun show salesmen will rape you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I would NOT buy at a gunshow. Your best interest would be served via buying through one of the dealers here. No I'm not a AR15.com vendor fanboy but I do research extensively before I spend to ensure I get the maximum return on my dollar and you can't beat what these guys offer in quality or price. Now if your dead set on buying a Bushy or Colt NIB instead of a custom order I'll give you my unbiased opinion (unbiased because I own both) I feel the Bushmaster is the better deal. Quality of both is comparable, price is not. Colts are overpriced for what you get. Even if they were priced equally I would still take the Bushy. Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I've seen in the past at Tulsa gun shows, your best bet as far as prices would be to watch the crowd for guys walking around with ARs that are likely there to sell or trade them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the information and helping out a newbie.  I'll do some research before the show and probably just go to browse.  I checked out aimsurplus.com and am very interested.  I'll need to find someone with an FFL to order.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You left out Rock River.
They have only one negative, and that is they don't offer a chrome lined barrel except on an M4 barrel.
Many don't really care about chrome lining anyway.
However, as you are new, you would be getting a rifle that is very cost effective and would do EVERYTHING you want as a new guy.  And save yourself at least $200.
They have lifetime warrantee, and guarantee 1 MOA on all rifles and uppers, except the guarantee 3/4 on the varminter.  My experience has been substantially better with mine.

Look at these guys.  They are one of the absolute best AR15 shops in the country. www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/rraffl.cfm?page=rra
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#8]
How would I go about ordering over the internet?  I don't have a FFL.  Would I utilize a local dealer or is there someone on the board in the Tulsa area with an FFL?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, thanks for the advice, here's what I'm going to go with.  First of all I'm going to the gun show just to see if there are any good deals and browse (I may change my mind).  Right now I'm looking at buying a Bushmaster M4 A3 with a 16" barrell from aimsurplus.com (Item#Bush-BCWA3F16M4  A3 Type: $809.95ea).  I have to get with some local dealers this week to set up a transfer.  From research so far it appears it will cost me approx $20 dollars for the transfer.  Anything else I should consider???
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top