Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2004 12:23:49 PM EDT
I am going to be selling an upper, and wanted to know what shipping metods have had the best luck.  I know it's not a rifle, and is little more than a machine part, but I have read bad things about UPS and gun stuff so I thaught I would ask here.  ANy input would be welcome.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am going to be selling an upper, and wanted to know what shipping metods have had the best luck.  I know it's not a rifle, and is little more than a machine part, but I have read bad things about UPS and gun stuff so I thaught I would ask here.  ANy input would be welcome.

Packed in sturdy box+ bubblewrap.
Fedex.
Insured for $100 over what it is worth.

UPS blows.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I shipped my upper back via USPS PM.  The insurance was really steep, but it got half way across the country in 3 days undamaged.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a small, inexpensive gun case.  Put upper in case.  Put case in box that case came in.  Wrap in brown shipping paper.  Duck tape well.  Take to shipper.

IO1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I was shipping uppers all over the country usind the USPS triangle boxes and plenty of bubble wrap, peanuts and wrapping paper to protect the upper.  Each upper was about $10 using Priority Mail with delivery confirmation and insurance was $5 or so, depending on the value of the upper.  All made it safely.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
A three to  foot long piece of 3 or 4 inch PVC ,I cant remember what used then cap of the ends , wrap the upper in bubble wrap. I sent my Bushmaster upper to bushmaster they were loving the idea.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
attached to a lower would be nice
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Best way to ship an upper?

In a box..

Sorry I just feel like being a smart ass today.. I prefer Priority Mail..
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
FedEx Tube & bubble wrap.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Go DHL!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A three to  foot long piece of 3 or 4 inch PVC ,I cant remember what used then cap of the ends , wrap the upper in bubble wrap. I sent my Bushmaster upper to bushmaster they were loving the idea.

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell them it is a rifle barrel, not a firearm. Works for me. Course when I ship stuff my UPS store guy tells me his shooting stories. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I always say "precision machine parts".
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I opened accounts at the USPS, Fedex and UPS. I have a Kinko's 4 blocks from my home, so I print out a shipping label at home (paying in advance) and drop it off at the Kinko's. No waiting, no lines, no questions....... I've shipped plenty of gun stuff this way with zero problems....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Buy a small, inexpensive gun case.  Put upper in case.  Put case in box that case came in. Wrap in brown shipping paper.  Duck tape well.  Take to shipper.

IO1

FEDEX wouldn't take my package with brown shipping paper.  USPS is the only carrier that will.

The triangle tubes are the best idea, they're sturdy and free.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I just used UPS to ship mine to ADCO.  got it back in exactly one week via US Priority Mail in a triangular tube.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I received one wrapped tightly in a pants leg from an old pair of jeans which was then placed in a box with loose peanuts. It worked great. BTW, it was shipped Priority mail which arrived in 3 days
from across the country.....not bad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Triangular tube using PM.
You just have to cut a little bit to get the perfect length for the upper. I didn't noticed they were too long and the minimum quantity was 10 when I ordered. When they were delivered, my wife thought it was a rifle, lol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd ship it in a box..
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
FedEx Tube & bubble wrap.

Yup!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I wrap the upper in bubble wrap & pack it in the FedX triangle shaped box (Kinkos has them for free), I seal up the box with a couple of wraps of clear packing tape & ship Fed X, Cost is comparable to UPS & They don't break your balls.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Tell them it is a rifle barrel, not a firearm. Works for me. Course when I ship stuff my UPS store guy tells me his shooting stories. YMMV.

A postworker with shooting stories....now thats scary  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was shipping uppers all over the country usind the USPS triangle boxes and plenty of bubble wrap, peanuts and wrapping paper to protect the upper.  Each upper was about $10 using Priority Mail with delivery confirmation and insurance was $5 or so, depending on the value of the upper.  All made it safely.

I just mailed a 20" upper yesterday using the triangular USPS tube from USPS.  The USPS provides these tubes at no charge.  I used to be able to pick them up at the local post office, but now they must be ordered off the USPS website.  The tubes are still free when ordered off the website.  USPS will even ship them to you for free.  These tubes are designed to mail blueprints, but they work just fine for an upper.  The tubes come in 2 different lengths.  You will need the longer tube for a 20" upper.  Perhaps a 16" upper would fit inside the shorter tube but I don't know for sure because I do not own any 16" uppers.  The tubes come in a box of 10, and it took approx 10 business days for the tubes to be delivered to me once I ordered them.........First I wrap newspapers around the upper.   Then I wrapped bubble wrap around the newspaper.  Stuff both ends of the tube with packing peanuts.  Wrap it all up with good quality tape.  Cost to mail it from Mich to Fla was $17 via Priority Mail.  That included $400 insurance + delivery confirmation.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just mailed a 20" upper yesterday using the triangular USPS tube from USPS.  The USPS provides these tubes at no charge.  I used to be able to pick them up at the local post office, but now they must be ordered off the USPS website.  The tubes are still free when ordered off the website.  USPS will even ship them to you for free.  These tubes are designed to mail blueprints, but they work just fine for an upper.  The tubes come in 2 different lengths.  You will need the longer tube for a 20" upper.  Perhaps a 16" upper would fit inside the shorter tube but I don't know for sure because I do not own any 16" uppers.  The tubes come in a box of 10, and it took approx 10 business days for the tubes to be delivered to me once I ordered them.........First I wrap newspapers around the upper.   Then I wrapped bubble wrap around the newspaper.  Stuff both ends of the tube with packing peanuts.  Wrap it all up with good quality tape.  Cost to mail it from Mich to Fla was $17 via Priority Mail.  That included $400 insurance + delivery confirmation.  

+1 for Priority Mail and Triagular box.

Fuck UPS and FedEx.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top