Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 9:11:17 AM EDT
I've seen this on more than a few recent GUNBROKER listings for the "LE" marked Colts. Quite a few have had the something similar to the quoted text below.

"Word has it that colt is going to start shipping these guns only with a law enforcement letter which means civillian ownership although legal, Will become very hard."

Is there any truth to this or is it merely a scare tactic to drive up the price?

I ordered a LE6920 from Andrew (policeguns.com), when asked this question he became quite irritated. His response was "don't waste my time", it's nothing but B$. Colt will not sell the LE models to non LE FFL's BUT they will continue to sell to LE FFL's no questions asked. He also mentioned that he's never heard this direct from Colt, everywhere else but the horses mouth.

Just wondering. There's a lot of hysteria going on ..
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
With Colt, who knows? People who have called Colt get one answer, dealers get another. Can't say I could blame Colt for avoiding the commercial market, if they can make it without having to sell rifles to idiots.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have to say that Colt is not going to sell a rifle to a individual, go to your dealer
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry ... I understand that Colt doesn't sell direct to individuals, strictly to FFL.

Per Andrew, Colt will only sell LE marked rifles to Law Enforcement FFL Dealers. Meaning, your average store down the street won't be ordering LE marked Colts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry ... I understand that Colt doesn't sell direct to individuals, strictly to FFL.

Per Andrew, Colt will only sell LE marked rifles to Law Enforcement FFL Dealers. Meaning, your average store down the street won't be ordering LE marked Colts.

I ordered a Restricted stamped Colt through Gundealer3 in the EE, if you want one give him a call, I'm sure he would be more than happy to have your business
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6138703
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, Here is a bad scan of a fax that Colt sent to its distributors...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Falcon007/ColtAWBltr.jpg
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
True, if you are a dealer with in stock LEO's or backorders incoming.

False, if you have neither and would like to see prices drop.

The Colt letterhead fax is about as a firm a stance as John Kerry would take. If Colt can make big bucks selling to dealers who sell to civies, they will. If the political backlash makes it too uncomfortable to do so, they won't.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The rumor I saw floating around the 'net was that dealers or distributors who sell Colt LE rifles to non-agency/non-military customers would have their dealer agreements with Colt terminated.

I don't see anything in that fax to substantiate that rumor.

1st post - Hi everyone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes 1st post.

You seem to have wisdom beyond your number of posts; (like that means anything in the first place!!!!!!!)
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Truth: If you want one, you can get one; all you have to do it ask around.

You saw the results here: you got links to 2 dealers right after your post went up.  I'm expecting my LE9620 soon; my dealer called me yesterday to confirm he had a shipment of rifles inbound.

The Colt LE rifles may not be falling out the trees but they can be had.  When your local dealer says he can't get you one (like mine did), say, "Thank You" and go elsewhere.

-Side Note-

That fax confirms what Colt told me over the phone: they do not plan to "no-ban" the MT6400C for the forseeable future.  

That sux but hey, there's a war on...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
It's just another "civillians take one in the ass from Colt" deals.  Does this really suprise anyone?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]
If this were any other time I'd agree, but let me say it again:

There's a war on.  Perhaps you've heard of it?  People in Afghanistand and Iraq.  Ring a bell?

Isn't the slightest bit possibleColt actually is using the majority of their production capacity to support the war?  If so, bitching that they aren't supporting civillian demands for M4s is pretty selfish.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There's a war on.  Perhaps you've heard of it?  People in Afghanistand and Iraq.  Ring a bell?

Isn't the slightest bit possibleColt actually is using the majority of their production capacity to support the war?  If so, bitching that they aren't supporting civillian demands for M4s is pretty selfish.  

I Agree
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

There's a war on. Perhaps you've heard of it? People in Afghanistand and Iraq. Ring a bell?

Isn't the slightest bit possibleColt actually is using the majority of their production capacity to support the war? If so, bitching that they aren't supporting civillian demands for M4s is pretty selfish.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Agree

I do appreciate your optimism, but I'm afraid I have to disagree.  If all of the evil items (F.S., colapsable, and >10 round magazines) are required to supply our troops at war, then why would they continue to offer them to L.E.?

The simple fact of the matter that no Colt fan seems to accept is that Colt does not give a damn about your rights or your loyalty.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree also but if thats the case then law enforcement also should come last to their government orders.It dosent take away from anything to put on a telestock and a 16" non standard by the way 16" barrel as real M4s get a 14.5.I dont want to take away anything our soldiers need but I dont think resocking and barreling rifles would.Like I said if our soldiers were # 1 priority all material would be used for filling those orders and they are not.They apparently have time to make the civie rifles and the LE6920s.Colt just wants to get rid of all their postban stocks before giving some thing new...any way if they are gonna cite the war effort then all the resources should go that way and all of us aside from the military shouldnt be able to get colt rifles.Im sure some one else could pick up the law enforcement slack.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I agree also but if thats the case then law enforcement also should come last to their government orders.

That statement is so uniformed on so many levels I don't even have to rebut it; its idiocy stands on its own.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Your the idiot,if colt is gonna say their first priority is orders for the military then everything should be on hold so all their resources are going to one entity,there are plenty other avenues for law enforcement and civilians but dont go saying this is our most importatnt reason for what we are doing when in fact it is not.If the military orders came first then us civilians and cops can be not selfish so the troops can get what they need first.Its all about what colt wants and needs and no one else,so I dont see idocy in the truth...their actions speak for them,civilians would be taking a back seat even if their were no war on.They manage to fill other countrys orders while supplying our military...you bought that explanation from them not me.The only difference in a 6400c is the barrel and stock so if the military is a priority then make it so.There is plenty of competition in the law enforcement market they just dont want to do us any favors and want to rid themselves of their post ban configured rifles first...if the military is first priority wich it should be then make it so.The civilian line is their only line that basicaly says"here you go dog,have a bone"fuck them and the horse the they rode in on or stamp lowers with.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Ah, model927, so nice to see you again.  

What is it with you and Colt - did someone at Colt steal your wife or what?  Such negative energy and hatred would be better directed at John Kerry/ John Edwards and the Demoncrats that want ALL YOUR GUNS and the destruction of freedom here.  

Colt's business practices are all about every company's first priority - staying in business.  And the military and Police have truely been Colt's best AR customers for thirty years.  Would you give priority to your best accounts first, if you ran a business?  

Right now there is a for real shooting war going on (do you watch the news?) - every day - and Defense buildups, here and in other friendly countries around the world do take priority.  The .mil and LE contracts are also hard cash, no headache contracts with people who don't whine a lot on Internet boards and buy thousands of rifles a year.  But your order should come first?

As for why Colt has to take a legal stance against selling LE Marked rifles to civilians, "Ray Charles could see that", God rest his talented soul.  

Scene in courtroom, slimy trial lawyer (One of John Edwards dear brothers) holds up Colt LE marked rifle in front of jury,

"And in conclusion Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I ask you for a punitive verdict against Colt's Defense/Colt's Manufacturing, Inc, in the amount of 100 Million dollars for the plantiff, for knowingly allowing this dangerous Law Enforcement use only weapon to be sold to the general public - after which it was used to feloniously kill plantiff's (insert here - husband, wife, kid, etc.).  Such a reckless desire to push such an obviously deadly weapon that it required special markings into regular civilian commerce shows reckless disregard for Public Safety.  To do this for a profit deserves such a serious penalty that NO Gun Manufacturer will ever dare do it again.  Bankrupt this evil arms merchant, and send a message Ladies and Gentlemen.  This will limit the flood of these and other terrible weapons by removing one of their largest suppliers from business."

Get the picture?  Juries are moronic - and this is very realistic.  When felons get awards for getting injured WHILE COMMITING CRIMES against the people they were stealing from, a business must play it safe to avoid the LawSharks.

Warmly, Col. Colt

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Other companies have some Gov't and many LE contracts (RRA, Etc.) and they have no problem selling firearms with "evil" features to civillian sales.  Hmmmm............

I also thought Colt was split into two seperate companies, a Civillian firearms company and a separate military / LE company ?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:19:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Your the idiot,if colt is gonna say their first priority is orders for the military then everything should be on hold so all their resources are going to one entity,there are plenty other avenues for law enforcement and civilians but dont go saying this is our most importatnt reason for what we are doing when in fact it is not.If the military orders came first then us civilians and cops can be not selfish so the troops can get what they need first.Its all about what colt wants and needs and no one else,so I dont see idocy in the truth...their actions speak for them,civilians would be taking a back seat even if their were no war on.They manage to fill other countrys orders while supplying our military...you bought that explanation from them not me.The only difference in a 6400c is the barrel and stock so if the military is a priority then make it so.There is plenty of competition in the law enforcement market they just dont want to do us any favors and want to rid themselves of their post ban configured rifles first...if the military is first priority wich it should be then make it so.The civilian line is their only line that basicaly says"here you go dog,have a bone"fuck them and the horse the they rode in on or stamp lowers with.

am I the only one having trouble understanding this guy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:44:23 AM EDT
[#21]

am I the only one having trouble understanding this guy

No.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"fuck them and the horse the they rode in on or stamp lowers with.

am I the only one having trouble understanding this guy.

I understood this part.  Everything else was a run-on blur.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Everyone here does know that other companies make AR-15 variants, right?  FUCK COLT.  I am working for a gun dealer right now and most of the people in our shop feel the same.  Colt does not care about anything except thier big contract deals.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Your the idiot,.......

hmmmmmm, how fitting.

I believe that is "you're".
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been looking, but may buy a bushie.  I tried one of the larger dealers yesterday in Michigna.  The answer I got from them was a little different.  His comment was Colt was waiting to the election is over, to decide on ssales.

Who knows, what is true this was just different from what I was told at other places.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There's a war on.  

I see this excuse for everything.  How long are you gonna use it?  What did we sent out guys over there with, waterguns?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#27]
This "excuse" will be used as long as it is accurate, by all the REAL PLAYERS in the Defense Industry that are busy supplying not only our troops, but our allies with needed gear.  The M4 is in high demand because it is much handier than the full size M16 models, and everyone seems to want to keep their gun close at hand "over there" righ now, for some odd reason.

Another example from a name you know.  Our shop is also a distributor for Trijicon scopes and night sights.  We have been on backorder for some time on several of their products.  When we called and asked why, they explained that they were running three shifts seven days a week and still could not keep up with Military/LE AND civilian demand.  "Be patient", THERE'S A WAR ON we were told.  Companies whose stuff isn't wanted by the military have a lot on hand, of course.

And Quinn, there is the little issue of quality.  A Colt is worth waiting for - most of the clones are nothing to stake your life on.  Cheap vendor parts assembled by orangutans, covers most of the clone brands pretty accurately.

Warmly, Col. Colt

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#28]
n/t
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a war on.  

I see this excuse for everything.  How long are you gonna use it?  What did we sent out guys over there with, waterguns?

I see you know a great deal about logistics.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#30]
A local funshop just got a shipment of colt 6920's yesterday afternoon. When I spoke to the sales rep, he said that this is the last batch they'll be getting for public sales because of the fax seen prior in this thread. He also said that Colt will be selling the 6400C in the same post ban configuration until Colt's stock of them runs out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your the idiot,.......

hmmmmmm, how fitting.

I believe that is "you're". hr

OUCH!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Then why are they continuing to use production capacity to make/sell 9 round magazines? IN FACT, Why are any employees at all, even working on non-full-auto guns? Are they hiring to meet MIL capacity?

Sorry, that answer doesn't pass the BS test.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#34]
RenegadeX,

You missed the point.  What I read in what Colt is saying is that all that is available to the Civilians right now is what is currently in the pipeline - which we used to call Postban models - and that no new civilian manufacture in quantity until what is there is all gone and, if caught up on military orders, floor time is available to make new civilian models.  For now, the civilian side of the house will get a trickle as floor time allows, US forces around the world will get the flood.

I read that as continuing to sell current available civilian inventory while making arms for the military's needs.  LE has the same priority as military - as arming the Homeland Security folks is important too.  Some LE guns are semi per their departments choice.  If you let the Civilians buy the LE guns, they make an end run around the "wartime" priority system and take a gun that might have armed LE/Homeland Security personnel.  Does that make any sense?

Bushmaster and the rest certainly can fill any civilian orders they like - they don't have any  military contracts to fulfill.  There is a reason for that.   Colt has a more serious need to meet, and that is what they are concentrating on.  The troops and Homeland Security come first - and I am utterly amazed anyone here has a problem with that.  

As for those of you that now don't want a Colt for whatever phony reason - excellent.  It leaves more available for the rest of us that actually know what's what.  Peace Be With You, Good Luck, Best Wishes and all that.

Warmly, Col. Colt
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I do not think they have a capacity problem, I think they have too much neutered inventory and want to unload that first. Problem is, other than the few banned states, who is going to buy them?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
other than the few banned states, who is going to buy them?

Those that can't get an LE Colt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top