Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 4:58:57 PM EDT
I spoke to one of the major AR producers on Friday, and questioned them about the availability of post ban LEO AR's, I was told that they were sold out, but the engraving equipment was still there, and that they could turn me out one with the engraved warning on it, in fact they said with the crazy pricing of the LEO guns, they may do a run at a higher cost to fill the niche.

Now, I dont want to say which manufacturer, it wasnt Colt, but its got me wondering how long till somebody figures out that putting the warning on their rifle drives up the value?

And on that same note, is anyone actually paying attention to WHEN these guns selling at high $$$$ are actually made?  IE, tracking serial numbers, etc.

Also, if Colt continues to make an LEO rifle, doesnt that make the value of all of them go down, unless they are true "BAN" dated rifles?

Just some thoughts, because Im not paying an exhorbitant price for the engraving, unless I know its a true "BAN" dated rifle.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm happy to say I'm 100% with Stickman on this one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't even see what the big deal about a gun saying leo on it!  What about when they make another ban and what if they include things that say leo on them?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I spoke to one of the major AR producers on Friday, and questioned them about the availability of post ban LEO AR's, I was told that they were sold out, but the engraving equipment was still there, and that they could turn me out one with the engraved warning on it, in fact they said with the crazy pricing of the LEO guns, they may do a run at a higher cost to fill the niche.

If your Mystery Manufacturer (?why not name them?) isn't selling LE marked rifles anymore, reintroducing them would only drive down the cost of the ones already out there plus reduce demand for their carbines currently on the market.  This for a short-term profit (very short term since everyone will know these rifles are "Post No-Bans" and the LE markings are meaningless)?  I don't see it.

Now, I dont want to say which manufacturer, it wasnt Colt, but its got me wondering how long till somebody figures out that putting the warning on their rifle drives up the value?

See above.  And why not say which manufacturer?  It's not like you haven't kept the secret.

Just some thoughts, because Im not paying an exhorbitant price for the engraving, unless I know its a true "BAN" dated rifle.

You shouldn't pay an exhorbitant price for the engraving, PERIOD.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If your Mystery Manufacturer (?why not name them?) isn't selling LE marked rifles anymore, reintroducing them would only drive down the cost of the ones already out there plus reduce demand for their carbines currently on the market.  This for a short-term profit (very short term since everyone will know these rifles are "Post No-Bans" and the LE markings are meaningless)?  I don't see it.

The information was given to me as an FFL making an inquiry, I dont know if it would have been given to an "on the street" customer.

You shouldn't pay an exhorbitant price for the engraving, PERIOD.

Thats a great thought, and I think the same thing, but then again demand drives the market, and these are garnering a premium price, I just posting the "what if" scenario, if production continues.

I dont see where a collector would not want one of these, if not just for the historical fact that someday in the future, you can say "see, this is when our government didnt trust CITIZENS with right to own a gun like this".

I for one dont want to easily forget that fact, and think that its a worthwhile statement to pass to the future generations of  gun owners, because after suffering under it for ten years, I dont want to see it happen again.

BTW, I am an owner of two pre ban colts, that are shooters, an HBAR and a Carbine, and from a $$ point of view, the best thing I could have done was sell them at a profit, halfway through the ban, but I didnt, only because the value is more to me as a representation of the 2nd ammendment, then what the $$ were ever.  the ban came damn close to not ending with a Republican president, and and a Republican majority Senate and House, I dont know if you all realize how lucky we are.

And one of the things that kind of tics me off, is the way that most dealers upped the price of the Colt LEO guns, as soon as they saw the value increase, these guns were in the shotgun news at just under $900, and at best, Ive seen them taking orders for them at $1100 here, did colt up the cost $200? I dont think so,  Yeah, I think thats called profiteering, just like Dodge Dealers did when the Viper first came out, and were selling them at costs way above sticker.

It just aint right.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry about misquoting the quotes in the above post, Im still learning how this forum works.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
It is right.  They can and should sell them for whatever they can get for them.  It is called capitolism.  Supply and demand.  

The other thing is the $900 colts LE guns were sold to officers without the FET (federal excise tax).  Now that these are being sold to civvies, the FET must be paid.  Take a $900 gun, add FET and a small profit and you are seeing the results.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to Gunbroker at look at what people are paying for LEO Colt's. There are people willing to pay hundreds more than what is advertised here by seller's. I am so glad I found this site. This site ROCKS.
Chuck
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It is right.  They can and should sell them for whatever they can get for them.  It is called capitolism.  Supply and demand.  

The other thing is the $900 colts LE guns were sold to officers without the FET (federal excise tax).  Now that these are being sold to civvies, the FET must be paid.  Take a $900 gun, add FET and a small profit and you are seeing the results.

Officer's have to pay the FET for personal guns. Only if the agency makes the purchase is the tax waived.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah they can sell these guns for whatever price they can get.  having said that, LEO engraving doesn't make the gun shoot any straight and its' just cosmetic for those who care about having these words.  For me, the fewer cluttering letters on the gun the better.  

Here's a thought, why not have the factory engrave something even better?  There is no restriction on the AR any more, and the engravings do not make them legal or illegal.  So you can put pretty much anything you'd like, such as GOVERNMENT PROPERTY,  or FOR EXPORT ONLY, FOR (Alphabet soup, your choice), or better yet, EXCLUSIVELY MADE FOR THE ULTRA ELITE SHOOTER WHO PURCHASED THIS UBER SPACEGUN THAT CAN SHOOT 1MOA FROM 500 YARDS, blah blah.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

First of all,learn to spell capitalism:second,WTF?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Frick,

I for one kind of like the LE roll marks as they symbolize the death of the ban by my having one- legally

and I believe the premium they command right now is likely to be made up at sale time, if that is your thing- if not ....well get one without the roll marks, and save the $xx

by the way..................

welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks man, I actually want one for historical reasons, now if the cost is 1100, from Colt, with a reasonable profit in that figure I have no problems, but if someone is doubling the cost, and profiteering on them, then I could see why Colt would want to stop selling them to civilians, hell, thats probably why the other company was going to produce more, at a higher price than a standard gun.

But its also a critical reason why post, post ban guns with engraving arent of interest to me, its not the engraving, its the fact that it was previously forbidden fruit, made DURING the ban, so new colts that are LEO, arent the animal I want, excist tax, etc, if there post post ban, they aint the real thing.

Now the excise tax issue, I did not realize that, but its 10% correct, so even at that those 900 dollar guns are only 990.00, thats based on prior costs as advertised in the shotgun news pre post, post ban, so yes, the sellers are making an extra hundred or so, and dont get me wrong, capitalism is a great thing, but so is making as many formerly restricted rifles available to as many people as possible, in as short a period of time, until were sure that this ban ban is permanent.

Also, I know quite a few officers with LEO guns, and they leave the station with them when the move along, so who exactly is forcing them to pay the tax?  I havent heard of one yet that had to, or is it an honor system.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
good points, but price-wise, I found a dealer that will deliver the LE6920 for under $1,000.

Now, I paid $1,100 from great guy, very dependable, and after all he did deliver. In fact, I had mine on September 13th, the day the ban died. From This guy, Jim

but considering Bushmaster sells their version -minus the M4 handguards, and well, it is a Bushmaster, and not the original Colt civilian M4- but anyway BM has them listed for $1,085 plus tax and delivery (not to mention the FFL fee- but both options have that) see BM model here

and this guy HERE is the one who advertises them - the Colt LE- for $900 something.

so I don't see that the LE markings-factor has commanded much, if any premium ----yet.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top