Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2004 11:30:42 AM EDT
Hi folks,

I'm looking at ordering a free-float varmint 20" HB with an aluminum tube for a lower that I've got, and was wanting to ask opinions on mounting a versa pod.

Out of curiosity - Is there any reason why mounting the bipod a little closer to the magazine well area of the rifle, or exactly halfway down the barrel (instead of right up at the muzzle end of the rifle) would be a really bad idea ?

I can think of a couple of things - more stability at the end, could get in the way of hand placement when shooting the rifle without the bipod extended, but other than that - any MAJOR drawbacks you guys can think of ?

Just wondering - I'm looking at doing something a bit different, and I've noticed that the bipods on Dragunov style rifles are generally mounted on grooves toward the front end of the receiver instead of near the muzzle end of the barrel.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Like you said, stability, which is a bipod's #1 reason for being.  The further back you mount it the more the bipod becomes a pivot for the rifle instead of an anchor at one end.  This is great for mounted weapons but lousy for precision shooting.

After this, nothing else really matters IMO.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Like you said, stability, which is a bipod's #1 reason for being.  The further back you mount it the more the bipod becomes a pivot for the rifle instead of an anchor at one end.  This is great for mounted weapons but lousy for precision shooting.

After this, nothing else really matters IMO.

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
It your gonna mount a bipid, it just function as one so put it as near the end of the barrel as your free float tube will allow.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top