Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 8:32:19 PM EDT
Just got a Colt M4 (dumped my Match Target M4 for it) LE6920, not a run of the mill 6920 but an LE6920HB. This has a bull  barrel under the handguard. Standard M4 barrels taper under the handguard. Only 300 were made by Colt. Hope it's worth something someday. Fit and finish is perfect. Compared to the Match Target, this one has a lot more precision in terms of fit and finish to it. It's stamped with "Colt Defense" as the manufacturer compared to Colt MFG on the Match target. Seems like the two companies make entirely different products in terms of quality. So is this a flawed observation?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just got a Colt M4 (dumped my Match Target M4 for it) LE6920, not a run of the mill 6920 but an LE6920HB. This has a bull  barrel under the handguard. Standard M4 barrels taper under the handguard. Only 300 were made by Colt. Hope it's worth something someday. Fit and finish is perfect. Compared to the Match Target, this one has a lot more precision in terms of fit and finish to it. It's stamped with "Colt Defense" as the manufacturer compared to Colt MFG on the Match target. Seems like the two companies make entirely different products in terms of quality. So is this a flawed observation?

Flawed observation. I'm sure all these Colts come out of the same factory.

I've read elsewhere that some of the LE Colts were a little rougher than usual, but everyone who has bought one lately on the forums haven't complained.

And yes, it will be worth something someday. Hell, they've gone up in value just in the past 3 1/2 weeks. hoot
Scott
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
You guys have way too much self-control to have a gun, store it, and not shoot it...  I couldn't do it...

Spooky
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't afford safe queens.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You guys have way too much self-control to have a gun, store it, and not shoot it...  I couldn't do it...

Spooky

I have a Bushmaster LE M4 carbine on order to be my shooter-surrogate. I even bought a set of M4 handguards and a side sling swivel to help it match the features of the LE colts.

I've had a Bushmaster carbine in the past and I think they're pretty nice, too.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a data point:  my Match Target (MT6400C) is marked "Colt Defense."  Apparently somewhere along the way they switched the markings to/from "Colt MFG."
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I also got the LE6920 (not the HB) and love it

I did however notice some issues with finish that I wonder if others did as well.

I will add that they cleaned up to be nothing, but I was surprised to see this shipped as it is from such a highly regarded mfgr.

Notice the area just right of the Delta ring- it looks as though there is some peeling or something, although it wasn't that after all.....

just thought I'd stir it up a bit, and get some others experiences on their new Colts.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Not true. Colt formed two companies-- one for civilians, one for Law Enforcement and Military.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#9]
CMM:  My MT6400 compares favorably with my new 6920.  Both were manufactured in March '04.  The 6400 is roll marked Colt's Mfg. and the 6920 is Colt Defense.  Both have the non machined web, referred to as the sear block.  Both are quite nicely finished.  Both uppers are M4 with a C and the keyhole symbol.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#10]
My MT6400c is also marked "colt  defense".
I would ditch mine as well if colt ever makes a rifle with simply "Colt  M4 Carbine" or something or that nature. To me  the huge LEO markings  just arent as desireable, and I already de-banned mine, so there is no practical difference. Finish on mine was very good as well.
Just another point of ref.
John F.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]
My M4 Target is also roll marked "Colt Defense".
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Spooky

That's why I bought two, hehe. One to shoot, and one to, a well, as a spare. Fit and finish on mine is flawless but I've only handled about 15 AR's recently. The Match Target, I can't say the same. The rear sight was very loose, fit on various mating parts were also pretty loose. Felt like an AK-47.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've read elsewhere that some of the LE Colts were a little rougher than usual, but everyone who has bought one lately on the forums haven't complained.

And yes, it will be worth something someday. Hell, they've gone up in value just in the past 3 1/2 weeks. hoot
Scott

Does yours have the tapered barrel underneath the handguard? I'm curious if there's only 300 made and you're one of the lucky ones. The match target I used to have had the tapered barrel but this one is full all the way.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Scott

Does yours have the tapered barrel underneath the handguard? I'm curious if there's only 300 made and you're one of the lucky ones. The match target I used to have had the tapered barrel but this one is full all the way.

It doesn't taper under the handguard. I managed to get the lower guard off once to take a peek.

You can even "feel" the heft from the thicker barrel.

Scott

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top