Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 4:30:28 PM EDT
I have never used any copper solvent and I think that it is about time.  I have only abeen using CLP.  What brand of copper solvent is the best?

Not a trap.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
TRAP!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Hoppe's BENCHREST #9.
The bottle looks similar to normal Hoppe's, but it has a black label with copper lettering.
It is an ammonia based cleaner, but is not too aggressive, and won't hurt your barrel if you don't leave it on for overnight.

I know that others may prefer Sweet's, Shooter's Choice, or some  paste-type cleaners, but the Hoppe's BR #9 has always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found that the Hoppes Bench Rest works well for me also, but Sweets seems to be more agressive.  There is a new product out by, I think, Outers.  It's a small aerosol can with a plastic tube coming from it.  You squirt the stuff into the barrel where it turns into a sticky foam that clings to the inside of the barrel.  You are supposed to let it sit for 15 minutes or so before running patches thought it.  I have also tried this stuff, and I was rather impressed.  It smells kind of bad though, but it's not a real strong smell like Hoppes is.    
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet's 7.62, but be careful, it's some nasty shit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1
Make sure you get it all out when you're done.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used Shooters Chioce in the past but have recently started using Foul Out. This is a foam solvent and what I do is plug the barrel then fill it with the foam. I'll leave it there for about 20min (occasionally overnight) and this stuff gets the barrel SPOTLESS! Even my Savage which are known for having rough bores. On my AR10 w/ Mike Rock 5r barrel all I need is about 2 foulers but with my Savage it can take as many as 10 before I'm back to the usual accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Make sure you get it all out when you're done.

+1 and excellent advice.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If I go the Sweets route what needs to be done to make sure that I get it all out?

Will a regular cleaning do?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I go the Sweets route what needs to be done to make sure that I get it all out?

After Sweet's I run many dry patches through the bore and swab the chamber.

I have been known to swab again with 91+% isopropyl alcohol afterwards in some of my high dollar barrels to "make sure". Makes me feel better

Prolly anal, that's what I have been known to do.

It ain't NO TRAP, btw.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I use M-Pro 7 first to clean up carbon fouling, then I run Sweet's through it, and then give it another good scrubbing with M-Pro 7.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered my Krieger and they reccommended Hoppes #9 and Hoppes#9 Benchrest.  I picked up some today as well as a bore guide and a Dewey Nylon coated cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#12]
does that Outers stuff have a name ?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top