Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 7:38:13 AM EDT
My gun finishing/gunsmithing hobby is about to turn into a small business and will need an FFL. I sent off for the application and was wondering what kind of time frame Im looking at when I send the completed application back. Anyone received an FFL lately that could give me an idea?

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess that ius a resounding "no..."
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes I sent for my FFL about 8 months ago and just got it a about a week ago and it took until today to get all of my forms, posters, books ect

Thank You
Js15
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Js15, are you goin to open a storefront buisness or work out of your home? I heard it was almost impossible to get if you dont have a storefront buisness these days. I would love to have one but all I hear is " you cant get it", "not worth it"
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#4]
8 months, huh?.....Thats not what I was wanting to hear. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
i want to get an ffl, but to have a storefront for 8 or more months before selling anything would suck big time, money pit
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Js15, are you goin to open a storefront buisness or work out of your home? I heard it was almost impossible to get if you dont have a storefront buisness these days. I would love to have one but all I hear is " you cant get it", "not worth it"

I paid for my brothers FFL (I got tired of paying the other guys extortion). Took about 2 months for him. You can get one from your house but you cannot live in a residential zoned area. If you do then you'll need a storefront. Just check your zoning and send in the forms.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I sent in for one, but am getting a bunch of shit from the city and don't expect the ATF to be helpful. The Code of Federal Regulations define a busniess premises (required to get FFL) as a "The property on which the...dealing of firearms or ammuniiton or the dealing in firearms is or will be conducted. A private dwelling, no part of which is open to the public, shall not be recognized as coming within the meaning of the term."

I fully expect the ATF to shut me down based upon this, but will offer some protest. Maybe even request a hearing on it. There simply has got to be a variance available for those that will do business via the internet. I simply cannot afford a store, as much as I'd like to have one.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I sent in for one, but am getting a bunch of shit from the city and don't expect the ATF to be helpful. The Code of Federal Regulations define a busniess premises (required to get FFL) as a "The property on which the...dealing of firearms or ammuniiton or the dealing in firearms is or will be conducted. A private dwelling, no part of which is open to the public, shall not be recognized as coming within the meaning of the term."

I fully expect the ATF to shut me down based upon this, but will offer some protest. Maybe even request a hearing on it. There simply has got to be a variance available for those that will do business via the internet. I simply cannot afford a store, as much as I'd like to have one.....

I'm interested in how this will turn out. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row to apply for my ffl for selling the internet, local transfers,and local gun shows. The way I understood it was that if you have a home occupational permit from the city zoning dept. that it is okay. Then it is an approved   zoning change as long as you abide by all the rules of your home occupational permit. Anyways I got approved for my home occupational permit for an FFL and I'm going to send in my application within the week. We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Interestingly enough, I called into the city business licensing folks yesterday and was told that my city level business license should be here by the end of the week. MEANING APPROVED!

This is a stretch, and amounts to zoning approval from the city to conduct business at my home.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#10]
What city?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top