Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 6:56:51 PM EDT
Chromed Lined barrel?
   So a couple monthes ago some buddies and I were out plinkin and I was shooting some good ole' wolf out of my 16" C.A.R. Model 1 upper.  After the shoot I stuck the rifle on the rack untill tonight I went to clean it and my bore was rusted and pitted. So that takes care of that barrel. Beings I'm going to "the Creek" next weekend I thought I would pick up a suitable replacement.  My question to all you AR gurus out there is why should I buy a chrome-lined barrel over a standard chro-moly?  Also, who   of the following vendors do you prefer to do business with?: Model 1, J&T Distributing or M&A Parts?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
As a general rule J&T is good to go.  Some of the parts I bought from them several years ago were a little on teh low-end side in terms of fit and finish but what I've seen from them lately looked good.

Model 1 and M&A are bottom feeders with a long and mutual history.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster.  Chrome lined, forged front sight bases, mil-spec parkerizing, awesome customer service, and a top notched product for a few bucks more than the riff raff.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Chrome lined will not rust on you. I have had non chrome bores get pitted in a few days. I will always use chrome or stainless in the future.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Chromed Lined barrel?
   So a couple monthes ago some buddies and I were out plinkin and I was shooting some good ole' wolf out of my 16" C.A.R. Model 1 upper.  After the shoot I stuck the rifle on the rack untill tonight I went to clean it and my bore was rusted and pitted. So that takes care of that barrel. Beings I'm going to "the Creek" next weekend I thought I would pick up a suitable replacement.  My question to all you AR gurus out there is why should I buy a chrome-lined barrel over a standard chro-moly?  Also, who   of the following vendors do you prefer to do business with?: Model 1, J&T Distributing or M&A Parts?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

1) Olympic Arms would be a better choice for barrels than any of the above...

2) If you can rust out a chrome-moly barrel,  get STAINLESS, not chrome-lined... Much better corrosion resisitance and better accuracy too...

3) Make sure you have at least a 1:8 twist... Avoid 1:9, 1:10, etc...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy crap, i didn't know you could rust out a chrome moly barrel that quick.

Thats the last straw... i'm never buying anything that aint chromelined.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want it to blast with, get chromed, the accuracy advantage of stainless is small and the boys at the creek aren't gonna notice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was shooting some good ole' wolf out of my 16"

tonight I went to clean it and my bore was rusted and pitted.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top