Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 12:30:35 PM EDT
I just measured my Bushy's trigger pull with my RCBS scale.

In 10 measurements the average is 7.5 pounds.

The range is 7.0 lbs to slightly over 8.0 lbs.

Is this typical of mass produced mil spec AR's?

I am considering installing a 4.5 lb JP kit.  

I realize there may be more refined trigger kits around .

I would appreciate some feedback( likes, dislikes and why's and or why not's) pertaining to the JP Rifles 4.5 lb "tactical" trigger kit.

I don't have any plans to shoot competively but I like to shoot accurately ans above all else safely!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, that's pretty typical. Anywhere from 6-8 lbs. or so for an out-of-the-box AR. JP's a good way to go, don't forget to consider their new drop-in fire control unit. The reason two stages are not used for "tactical" rifles is that they encourage people to keep their finger on the trigger and the "final" trigger pull is something like a pound.
Think about it, if you have a two stage, what are you naturally going to do but keep your finger on the trigger with the first stage pulled back. A single stage on the other hand is like the trigger from a Colt .45: crisp, clean, you just put your finger on it and pull. Two stage might be great for hunting or plinking around on the range but there is good reason why it's rarely used by people who's lives depend on their gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
fyi i put a jp spring kit in my bushmaster this weekend. This is just the srpings that lower the factory trigger group down to apx. 4-5 pounds. Shooting pmc 55 grain ball i had two failure to fire in 80 rounds. I thought this would be a cheap stop gap until i could afford a real trigger upgrade, but i don't think i could really recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
JP Trigger Systems are excellent. If you send your lower to them they will install the parts and ship it back for about $229ish.

MT
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard PMC being called Poor Man's Choice...for a reason. The JP system doesn't drop the hammer as hard as the stock springs, which is exactly the reason why the military uses such a heavy trigger pull. That way, the pin is bound to strike the primer hard enough to ignite it. Military ammo though isn't of the highest quality...it's whoever's bid had the least amount of zeros and in their situation, their gun MUST fire regardless of how well made the ammo is.
In our case, if a round doesn't go off on the range, we just clear the chamber and keep on going. Generally, we also shoot with higher quality ammunition than what the military uses, which has softer, more consistent primers that don't require as much force to go off. Hopefully that explains it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
fyi i put a jp spring kit in my bushmaster this weekend. This is just the srpings that lower the factory trigger group down to apx. 4-5 pounds. Shooting pmc 55 grain ball i had two failure to fire in 80 rounds. I thought this would be a cheap stop gap until i could afford a real trigger upgrade, but i don't think i could really recommend it.

Just out of curiousity, did you use the "tactical" JPS40 spring kit?
On the web site, it notes that uses of ar10/SR25 rifles, as well as those using ar15s for "tactical" or cold weather applications should use this version of the spring kit, which includes a stronger hammer spring to alleviate any ignition woes,  caused by tough primers and so forth. I would not  exactly call just shooting milsurp ammo a "tactical application" however, it seems to me that spring kit would be the right choice for one using milsurp or similar ammo.

here is the quote from their site:
"The “Poor Mans” trigger job:

Spending $140 or more for trigger parts on every M15 rifle you may own may not be realistic.  If you can’t quite pop for our complete trigger kit, or have too many rifles and can’t justify expensive triggers in all of them, then this may be for you. You can achieve a significant improvement over stock parts by using a set of our custom trigger/hammer springs and the Rydol sear compound. With proper sear and hammer notch preparation, a livable 4.5 to 5.0 smooth trigger in a rifle with standard trigger components is possible. It will not have the extremely short engagement/over travel feel like the JP trigger, but you will have a smooth “roll-off” feel that will give usable trigger control. The spring kit includes trigger, hammer and disconnector spring and complete instructions on how to prep your parts for best results. Or, send in your lower assembly and we’ll do it for you, complete with springs, professional work over of your parts, and return shipping included for $65.00.

Note: If you are ordering for an Armalite AR10 or Knights SR25, or using your rifle for tactical or cold weather operation, specify the JPS40 tactical spring kit with your order.  In these rifles, a heavy hammer spring is necessary for ignition reliability and to eliminate the finger bounce "doubling" possibility.  When you order direct, we will include this at no charge"

Hope that helps,
John F.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I used the "reduced power ar15 sprin kit set" Part #  452-000-007. I'm not blaming jp for miss fires, it could be cheap ammo no doubt. Just reporting what happened. but the dent on the primers is alot lighter. No duh i guess
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I notice their site says: JPS40 JP Tactical Spring Kit, 4lb (for JP trigger only)
so would I need to buy their trigger as well? I have a RRA Lower , would that be my best option?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top