Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 6:42:09 AM EDT
I've always loved guns, I have 15, not as many as some of you I'm sure but more than the average Joe. Anyway, since I've started to look into building my own kit I can't seem to think about anything but AR's. If I'm not reading the Shotgun News I'm on here reading stuff. I even had a dream last night about AR's, I'm serious. Does this ever stop? Will it after I finally get one and build it? I've always loved AK's and still do, but it was never like this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Sad thing is...I don't think there's a cure!!

Best you can do to contain the disease is purchase more/larger gun safes...

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, my gun safe is already almost maxed out. I guess I'll sell it and get a bigger one. If this whole AR thing doesn't die down I'll need a safe just for AR's. That'd be a nice problem to have.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the disease. . . .
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
There are some members here building cement, walk-in, gun vaults.
Until you reach that level of addiction, I think you'll be OK.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes,  I have it bad too.  No, I don't think the Black Flu is  very easy to get rid of.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait till you drift over to the other side for a few days, and then find a few AK's sitting in the safe next to the AR's.  And they get along perfectly in there...!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've always loved guns, I have 15, not as many as some of you I'm sure but more than the average Joe. Anyway, since I've started to look into building my own kit I can't seem to think about anything but AR's. If I'm not reading the Shotgun News I'm on here reading stuff. I even had a dream last night about AR's, I'm serious. Does this ever stop? Will it after I finally get one and build it? I've always loved AK's and still do, but it was never like this.

It's progressive and debiltating.  See at first I thought it was all non-sense.  I mean you just buy one you like and that's all you need right?  Then it starts, you see short barrels, long barrels, stainless varmit rigs, and CQB setups.  Pretty soon your thinking about a  new upper, after all thats all you really need right?  But then It's just not cool to have an A2 stock on a CQB upper so you need a new lower with an adjusable stock.  Awwwww screw it, might as well just buy a new rifle.

I'm sick, and the first step is knowing you are sick.  I do have to get this under some control though or I'm going to start having money problems.  The problem is they are like destructive LEGOs.  All you need is a few more parts man.... just a few more parts and it'll be done.  WRONG!!  Now you just have another partial rifle begging to be built.  AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Edited to add:  This site and it's picture threads are how the illness spreads and should have been shut down by the CDC long ago.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#8]
That's good that AK's and AR's get along great in the safe since I have 2 AK's in the safe already and soon to be a M4 AR.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I can really see how it spreads. I'm already like that with AK's, I've got a Mak90 with a pre-ban stock and a Maadi with a pre-ban stock too, but I always want another variant like one with a black synthetic stock and one with a plum synthetic stock and one folder and one with a... well you get this picture. I guess this whole AR thing is just like that. The only problem is it cost a whole lot more to get into the AR game. This should be fun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, it's not a disease of the owner.  It's an evolutionary/reproductive technique of the rifle itself.  

For example, a 20" rifle decides it would fare better as a carbine.  A few days later, an M4 upper arrives in a brown truck.  The cast-off 20" upper, struggling to survive, keeps sprouting new parts (via the brown truck) until it is a complete rifle.  The cycle continues, ad nauseum.  

Black rifles are darwinian.

-SC
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Im  glad to see  that  it isnt  just me.

TG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Actually, it's not a disease of the owner.  It's an evolutionary/reproductive technique of the rifle itself.  

For example, a 20" rifle decides it would fare better as a carbine.  A few days later, an M4 upper arrives in a brown truck.  The cast-off 20" upper, struggling to survive, keeps sprouting new parts (via the brown truck) until it is a complete rifle.  The cycle continues, ad nauseum.  

Black rifles are darwinian.

-SC

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I am still suffering the same disease.  I have owned and sold over 20 ARs.  Man that is a lot of money but it is a hobby that I enjoy.  I shoot because it is fun.  The AR is just like my issued weapon.  It is a good piece of gear.

I tried to find a new hobby but ended up liking AKs.  I try to avoid the FAL and HK91.  But I have been toying with the AR10 since I do not have one.

This is an expensive hobby.

Max  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I am still suffering the same disease.  I have owned and sold over 20 ARs.  Man that is a lot of money but it is a hobby that I enjoy.  I shoot because it is fun.  The AR is just like my issued weapon.  It is a good piece of gear.

I tried to find a new hobby but ended up liking AKs.  I try to avoid the FAL and HK91.  But I have been toying with the AR10 since I do not have one.

This is an expensive hobby.

Max  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#15]
SmallChange, you should publish that.  I believe you've deliniated the definitive process whereby the phrase, "Just this one, Honey" becomes hot, searing lie.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Aint nothin wrong with a disease that brings such happiness with it...

like Lyme disease.

Oh, wait a minute

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I have spent close to $9,000 on 4 AR types in the past 10 months
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
SmallChange, you should publish that.  I believe you've deliniated the definitive process whereby the phrase, "Just this one, Honey" becomes hot, searing lie.

My wife figured that out long ago.  It's partially her fault, really.  She put an ultimatum on new gun purchases, but she never said anything about buying parts and assembling them...
How
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top