Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2004 10:37:56 AM EDT
Not too big of a deal, but I’m a little miffed. Took my NIB Bushmaster no-ban rifle out to the range yesterday.

Opened the bolt to show all clear as we’re setting everything up.

Put the first loaded mag into the rifle. Hit the bolt release… and snap!

The bolt release broke.

Just like that. Not a single round through the weapon.

Kinda upset as it’s not supposed to do that.

I don’t know if this is something Bushmaster will stand behind (not that it’s that major of an issue) but if I wind up replacing this myself, what kind of punch do I use? Looks like I need something a bit different than a straight punch.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It happens.  Those are cheap cast parts, and sometimes you get a defect.  Sure, you cou'd send it back... but I would just call bushy and have them ship out a new one ASAP.

I takes a 1/16" punch.... the longer the better.  You just tap out the roll pin halfway, out comes the catch (whats left of it) dont lose the spring and detent, then pop in the new one, and tap roll pin back home.  You can get the idea from this post:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Please post a photo of it here before you send it back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you cant host IM me for hosting...

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pic, but photobucket seems to be having some problems. I'll post it as soon as as I can.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Tagged.  Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/ARFs/b8469d44.jpg

Oh hell I see the problem right there.... you have so much oil on that thing, it weakened the metal in your bolt catch!  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, that looks ugly. I guess those higher insurance premiums are taking a bite out of QC . I'm sure Bushmaster will get you squared away with a new part soon enough.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont see how Bushie would have a problem sending out a cheapo part...  just call

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#10]
on a somewhat (un)related note....

I had one of my freshman MSI's (army cadets) this weekend with the bolt catch on their M16A2 tapered down and with ridges like the top part... what I'm trying to say is that the bottom (where the little nub sticks out that you press to hold the bolt open) was tapered- didn't stick out at all- and had ridges like the top paddle part that you slap to let the bolt run home... anyone ever see tihs before? Colt manufacture- wish I could have gotten a pic...

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#11]
oil won't do this, this is a defective bolt release,  just hope the other parts on your gun won't be the same.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
oil won't do this, this is a defective bolt release,  just hope the other parts on your gun won't be the same.

Are you sure???

I've always heard that oil will soak into metal and weaken the molecular structure.  That's why I never let any of my guns come into contact with oil of any kind.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If I hadn't read this myself, I wouldn't have believed it.
George
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Nothing gets by you, does it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, That sucks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I had one break once, it's no big deal, just call Bushmaster and they'll send you another one.

PS (get two)....that'd be a good thing to keep as a spare part in case it happened again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Sucks that the one from the factory bolt catch busted, but this would be a reason to get one of those nifty tactical bolt catches.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sucks that the one from the factory bolt catch busted, but this would be a reason to get one of those nifty tactical bolt catches.

Eeeeewwwwww!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are going to replace the bolt release yourself, put a couple layers of packing tape on your receiver to protect it from both the hammer and the punch.  An errant strike with the hammer or slippage of the punch can cause a lot of heartache.  Especially for putting the roll pin back in, cover the bolt release pin ears with the tape and punch a small hole in the tape where the roll pin is driven through into the ear.  

When putting the roll pin drive it in very slightly so that you can just put the bolt realease in and thus index the hole in the bolt release to the roll pin.  Then, you get a third hand to hold the bolt release in position while you drive the roll pin on in or to drive the roll pin while you hold the bolt release and the punch.

I would ask Bushmaster for a new roll pin also if you are going to ask them for a new bolt release.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I would ask Bushmaster for a new roll pin also if you are going to ask them for a new bolt release.

Schmooze 'em and see if you can get a whole new lower out of the deal!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top