Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 9:46:18 AM EDT

I'm thinking about building some projects based upon M16A1 uppers and wonder who else has a closer color match - LRB, CMT?  Most advertisers note how black their anodizing is; I have those (ArmaLite by Eagle) but this is for a specific project.

Yes, I know I can get it Norrelled/GunKoted - that isn't what I want to know ;)

Thanks, BT
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Let's See????? Nobody, not even Colt uses Colt Grey anymore.   It was probably just an accident that they went for black and could not get it right and it came out washed out Grey/Black.

Anyone want to take a stab at actually answering the question?  Please scroll up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
well, it aparently doesn't match, but
www.cavalryarms.com/MKII.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let's See????? Nobody, not even Colt uses Colt Grey anymore.   It was probably just an accident that they went for black and could not get it right and it came out washed out Grey/Black.

Anyone want to take a stab at actually answering the question?  Please scroll up.

Your message title is...

Who makes GREY lowers (besides Colt)?

David answered that question correctly. (i.e. nobody)

The question posed inside of your first message was....

I'm thinking about building some projects based upon M16A1 uppers and wonder who else has a closer color match - LRB, CMT?

Closer to what? An M16A1 upper? OK what color is your M16A1 upper? One would assume as David did that you are trying to match an upper that is Colt Grey based on your title. So to specifically answer that question, no currently produced lower receiver will match a Colt Grey upper worth a damn.

I think you already answered your own question...

Yes, I know I can get it Norrelled/GunKoted - that isn't what I want to know ;)

but apparently you don't want to know that

psst - there is a good link over on the "Build it yourself" forum on how to apply Norrels MolyCoat

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]
If you would actually read the text of my message, I asked who has a closer color match. LMT, RRA, and Eagle have a deep black; Bushmaster often tends towards purplish.  CMT and LRB look, in photographs, slightly lighter than flat black, and I recall hearing anecdotally that CMT was a closer match.

I wanted to hear from people who actually knew something about the topic; black and Colt grey are not identical, but a charcoaly not-quite black is a closer color match. Emphasis: "closer."  The word has a very specific meaning.  

And yes, I know all about GunKote and Moly Resin from John Norell.  I can even tell you all about Norell's wonderful pre-86 10/22 full auto conversions. But I'm not interested in going that route, and I was very specific: I know about the product, please don't bother to inform me about it.

This is the first time in perhaps my six years of use of ar15 (I was originally on the old ar15-l in 1998, and changed my handle in 2002) that I've had a thread I posted turn into a gunsnet type pissing contest. Sad. Unsubscribing from my own thread.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't really see it as a pissing contest.  What you want isn't available.  Make a decision as to what you want to do about it, and move on.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:21:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is the first time in perhaps my six years of use of ar15 (I was originally on the old ar15-l in 1998, and changed my handle in 2002) that I've had a thread I posted turn into a gunsnet type pissing contest.

Hard to believe considering the attitude you've displayed in this thread
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top