Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 10:37:12 AM EDT
I am going to order a new Colt tomorrow and would like to know which I should get.  I am leaning toward the 6520.  I also like the 6920 but already have a Bushmaster M4gery (14.5"bbl/phantom).   I want to add a Colt to my very small collection of AR's (lets not get into the Colt vs. Bushmaster bullshit), but I am kind of undecided.  No, I am not going to get both  I like the 6520 for its simplistic all business look, but I also like the cool factor of the M4.  Does the 6520 have the M4 feed ramps?  Anyway, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

JasonC  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Colt 6530 and  I believe it is like the 6520, except with the A2 buttstock. I agree; it looks simple but is light and effective. There is a lot of faux associated with a civilian M4 barrel cut. My 6530 has the M4 feed cuts. I read in the equipment exchange under steyraug's sales thread that your 6520 would also have the M4 cuts.
 I am debating your position on which to get soon. Where are you going for your purchase. For me it looks like 'ol Steyr.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, ordering from Steyr first thing tomorrow morning.  Its good to know the 6520 has the M4 cuts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If you already have the BM M4gery, I would suggest the 6520. While I am not positive of the 6520 configuration, the Colt 6920 is close to the one you  have now. (save the hanguards, FH, and stock)

I would however post ban your BM, to get all you can out of it. That way you would have some variety in your gun case.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a few BM 14.5" M4 uppers  with the phantoms. I really like the shorter M4  looking barrel. The M4 with the 16" barrel looses a lil cool factor, but I do understand with the  14.5" you do loose velocity.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Jason

I have a pre-ban 6520 and it has the M4 cuts. I like this rifle because it has the benefit of the full 16" of barrel velocity and it is lite, quick and very very accurate. It is a keeper.

Bill

p.s. The FS will screw onto the 6520's pencil barrel and look like the 14.5 with the military FS.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#6]

I am going to order a new Colt tomorrow and would like to know which I should get.

How can anyone answer this question without knowing what you plan on doing with it, or the reason you are buying it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I am in the same basic boat;I currently have a MT6400C.I could remove the comp,thread the barrell,install a f/s,change the stock ,etc. Or I could get a LE.The important factors to me would be:threaded barrel and non step cut barrel.Thus I have been leaning towards 6721.Do the LE's have threaded barrels or are they pinned?Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If youre going to buy a Colt. Get the 6520.
There is no use in paying for a Colt rifle that does not say AR 15 A2 on the side. The Govt Carb say AR 15 A2 the 6920 says Law Enforcment Carbine or something like that.

You can buy actual 6920 uppers if you need one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes but I hate fixed carry handles;I forgot to add that.My main question concerns whether or not the barrels are threaded.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
We carry the 6520 at work and I like it very much.  I would choose it over the 6920 because of the lighter weight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Well I ordered a 6520.  I think it was a wise choice.  I can't wait...  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have the Colt 6530 and  I believe it is like the 6520, except with the A2 buttstock. I agree; it looks simple but is light and effective. There is a lot of faux associated with a civilian M4 barrel cut. My 6530 has the M4 feed cuts. I read in the equipment exchange under steyraug's sales thread that your 6520 would also have the M4 cuts.
 I am debating your position on which to get soon. Where are you going for your purchase. For me it looks like 'ol Steyr.

<== you can see by my username that I've got a 6530.  It came as an A2 upper with a pencil barrel, A2 stock, no bayo lug, and M4 feedramps.  I've since replaced the A2 stock with a Colt collapsible stock.  Without getting into the Colt vs. others debate here I can say it's a great rifle.  I've never had any feeding problems and the lightweight barrel is fast and handles very well.  In fact I liked it so much that I've just built a frankenupper using assorted parts including a Bushy superlight barrel assy.

You can do a search on the almost infinite number of threads about the M4 feedramps on this board, but suffice it to say that you don't really need M4 feedramps in semi-auto fire (and I'm assuming you're semiauto only).  The ramps are specifically designed to ease the feeding of the last few cartridges in a 30-round mag into the chamber during full-auto fire given all the bouncing around that occurs (the mag spring and follower move up and down increasing and decreasing mag spring pressure underneath the follower, the magazine itself can bounce up and down and side to side, and the gun is also moving around quite a bit).  In semiauto you don't get that kind of movement no matter how fast you pull the trigger - even bumpfiring.

As an aside I've also got a couple of M4s and can say that those barrels are noticeably heavier than the pencil barrels.  Of course I've also got KAC RAS IIs on those M4s, but they were clearly heavier even before I put on the RAS IIs.

For a light, simple rifle my choice is a 16" pencil barrel flattop with a collapsible stock and an Eotech mounted directly on the rail - though I've not yet tried the LaRue EOTech mount.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]
6920 all the way !!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top