Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 7:50:00 PM EDT
I figured this was a good time to ask this question, with the ban about to be dead and me about to have a bushy M4gery with a 14.5 barrel and a permanently installed Phantom.

I guess I never really thought about it, but now that I have, I'm curious.

I'm sure lots of you guys know.  A little help please?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
So, they're magic?

OK.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask Google

First Link quoted below.

Flash suppressors work by allowing the propellant gases to cool before dissipating. It is commonly thought that they are used on military rifles to reduce visibility to the enemy, but the size of a device necessary to hide the muzzle flash from an enemy during the night would be prohibitive. Flash suppressors are designed to hide the muzzle flash from the shooter to preserve his or her night vision, usually by directing the incandescent gasses downward, away from the line of sight of the shooter. Military forces engaging in night combat are still quite visible, and must move quickly after firing to avoid return fire.

Muzzle flash can also be controlled by using cartridges with a faster-burning powder, so that the propellant gases will already have begun to cool by the time they exit the barrel. Faster-burning powder, however, produces less projectile velocity, which reduces both the accuracy and lethality of the weapon.

Edited 'cause it copied popup text in the middle.

Jonathan
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top