Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2004 10:08:52 PM EDT
Hello Everyone. I noticed that a lot of people add a vertical front grip to their AR's, especially the M4 configurations, but I've also seen full sized 20" barreled AR's with them too.

What's the purpose of this grip?

I realize that the question might sound stupid, but I just want your opinion. I can see the advantage of such a handle on a full-auto short barreled weapon, but not much advatage on a semi auto. Is it a barrel heat issue? I know my forend gets a little hot after a few rounds.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
To me, it just makes the weapon easier to handle.  It is a more natural position for your other hand. I was skeptical of them at first, but I wouldn't want to be without one now.  The only time I don't care for it is if I'm trying to shoot from a rest or from a prone position.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
cause you can

it does provied a handy grip, but i prefer the no vertical grip myself
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
for bumping
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
More natural position and aids in muzzle control.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, I got it. If I offended anyone with a vertical grip (like my question was asking for a justification) I apologise. It wasn't my intention.  I was just wondering if there was any reason not obvious. Thanks for the replies guys.

E
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:55:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I just recently shot a m-4gery with one on it and I must say this will soon be added to my m-4gery as soon as funds allow.

VA-Spook
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:43:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:09:16 AM EDT
[#9]
It provides a much better method of retainign control of the weapon in the CQB environment - you can remain on the K grip with your left hand and draw ones pistol with your right (for those of us righties -and  vice vera for the southpaws.)  The vertical grip allows much more strength to be exerted in retension over the striaght rails (or worse tapered handguard).

It provides an easy place to put a pressure switch for a the PEQ/PAC (or use the paddle on the PAC) w/o getting in the way - and lets you use your thumb for the white light.

Some can be used as onboard storage for batteries etc.

However I do think they are not very aesthetically appealing.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I like them on a carbine; gives me a more natural hand position.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I constantly ask this question too and invariably get the one or two "DON'T get a VFG" comments.

I just put a surefire handguard system on my M4gery with the fobus vert grip.  Controlling rapid fire is probably the best reason to get a VFG.   Maybe its just the fobus, but the fatigue in my hand and wrist is quite much after a while.

MEanwhile, with the surefire ladder type rail covers on, it is IMO the most comfortable forearm out there.   So I dunno what I will do.  I will probably keep the VFG on and QD it if I get real tired.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#12]
It's kind of interesting seeing AR users embracing the VFG.  The Steyr AUG has had one (and one that folds, for that matter) for 30 years and I've heard many people be critical of the need for the one on the AUG.  Now I just wish that someone would make a VFG for the AR that fits the hand as well the the one on my AUG does.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#13]
It's a subjective issue really.  You have to use them for a while and decide for yourself.  For me, I like to hold onto the magwell. It's easier to get your elbows down that way and it's quicker to do a speed reload.  Vertical grips are okay except when you have to go into prone.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Atreides,
 I believe in trying before you buy the expensive stuff. I had a VFG that was used to
hold on the barrel shrouds for HK-94's. It was way too far forward on the 94. I
eventually put it in the rear hole of my lower handguard on my car. It hasn't been taken
off yet. I also have ran across similar handles for large drills. If you have something
like this laying around, or run across one in the hardware store, this could be an
inexpensive way to try this out. Somebody commented that I would break the HG,
if it does break, they are cheap to replace, & I might consider upgrading at that
time. So far, so good.
 I think it is much more comfortable & it allows you to manuever the gun when
picking it up, shouldering from the sling, etc. The VFG is near the center of gravity
(if you put it near the magwell), which makes it easy move the gun around.
I have no problem using it from prone. You can also move your hand forward
to a conventional grip on the HG, if desired.
 I don't intend to put put one on my 20" guns, but I have them on all of my
cars. I'll never go back.
Good Luck,

Johnny C!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top