Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 11:02:59 AM EDT
has anyone ever tried this and how good is it compared parkerizeing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
check this out  Finishing services

it may answer your questions although not exactly  ROGARD related
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an M4 of mine finished in "MATTE BLACK ROGUARD" by ROBAR. It is a all preban COLT where the lower was a grey and the upper a black color. They only did the upper and lower recievers. What they do is strip off all the anodizing, replated everything in a base plating of parkerizing (MATTE GREY COLOR) then they coat over all that with the ROGARD. It is very good. The whole process is expensive thought. You will get wear in contact spots such as where the ejection port cover touches the mag fence and brass deflector. Before getting my guns done I had seen a H&K PSG-1 that was done with Matte black Rogauard with NP3 internals, I though it was the coolest thing being it was done on a $11,000.00+ dollar weapon! NP3 is nickel impregnated with TEFLON. I also have one of my carry guns a GLOCK 21 done in this combo and it is AWESOME. Hope this helps you. If you have any more questions about it feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a SIG P220 with Roguard and NP3.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought NP3 was more silver in color?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Roguard is a polymer finish with molydisulfide, a "baked finish" very much like KG Gunkoat or John Norrell's finish (not saying it is either) -- very many of the ultra-dura-super-macho-coats of the market are simply a poly/moly heat cured finish. Roguard is applied over Phosphate plating, which is essentially Parkerizing... Parking is very "dry" and provides an outstanding substrate for the poly/moly coat, this is really the best way to apply these types of spray and bake finishes -- the result is as about as hard as woodpecker lips. <== very hard, outstanding corrosion resistance.

NP3 is an electroless nickle plating with teflon "mixed" in the the nickle... very much like Niflor (again, not saying that is blah blah blah), it is VERY lubricious and has an almost unbelievable adhesion quality. It applies very evenly and with little buildup. <== wear resistance and lubricity are top of the line!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It's a matte silver/grey.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're talking about Dave's SIG, Robar usually does the slide and frame in roguard and the small parts in NP3.

Note his slide stop, decocking lever, hammer and grip screws.

I'm considering having my HK P7 done in just NP3 (as seen on the Robar site).
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My brother in law has a Springfield 1911 tuned by Clark thats done in NP3.  Im quite impressed by that finish.

If I liked silver guns, that'd be the way Id go.

Thanks Lumpy, I don't mind a little Bling so I may go that way.  Right now just buying the pistol has seriously impoverished me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Hi-Power that has seen over 22,000 rounds now that wears the Roguard/NP3 finish. Pics of the gun at different points in its life are in the Pistol/Hi-Power forum so you can see how Roguard holds up over the long term.

It isn't an indestructible finish; but it is very tough compared to parkerizing and other traditional finishes. I'd also take it over Black T.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top