Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 3:24:21 AM EDT
I sold my last AR a while back and am really looking forward to getting another one post-sunset.  I am considering buying one of the Colt AR-15 M4 carbines that SteyrAug is selling, for two reasons:  1) SteyrAug seems like my kind of dealer, and is in my state, and 2) I would love to have the horsey stamped on my magwell.

My question is, is there any reason not to buy a Colt?  Maybe their quality has dropped lately?  Does Bushmaster or RRA make a better M4gery?  Any problems I should be aware of before I drop cash on one?  And what is the deal with 'small pin and large pin' uppers?  Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy  the COLT!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
And what is the deal with 'small pin and large pin' uppers?

The new Colts have the milspec small pivot pin, so standard uppers from various manufacturers will work. Colt still uses the large firecontrol pins, but that is no big deal.

BUY IT!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt at one time made rifles with larger takedown pins & pinholes than everyone else.  What this meant practically was that you could only swap Colt uppers on your rifle.  What it meant politically is that alot of people dislike the implication that we aren't capable of keeping on the right side of the law as it pertains to swapping M16 parts with our AR15 parts.  I believe the trigger group pins were also larger.

The takedown pin issue has been resolved.  You should be able to swap any upper with your Colt upper if you so choose.

I do not know if the trigger pins are still large or if they are now small as well.

Colt quality is just fine.  If what you're after is a horse on the side you certainly won't be disapointed in the quality of the firearm; you just may pay a little more for it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The decision to get a new Colt is a good one, but do yourself a favor and compare other sources with the idea that there is more than price involved in a new firearm purchase - within reason of course.

Not to say Steyr's offer isn't the way to go, as he is a site contributor, popular with those in the know, and IMHO not about to hose anyone on a sale- but look around and ask questions.

Like any purchase of $1,000 or more, it pays to evaluate your options first
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#5]
How much are these things going for? Now a couple of points of concern for me.

As M4Madness pointed out large pivot pins for the fire control group means your stuck with a stock trigger. That right there would be enough for me to pass but for some that isn't a big deal.

NEXT Point of concern.  16 inch barrel. If your going to get an M-4 get the 14.5 with a long flash suppressor. 16 inch barrels just don't look right to me. Yes I realize that is just my opinion.

Next and last is cost. I will be able to build a M4gery on Eagle arms lower for the following cost. Granted I have done some deal hunting and I can put my own gun together but this is what it will cost me.

A 3 Upper (with T numbers) $55.00 (LAR manufacturing)
EAGLE Lower                         $75.00
Bolt / charging handle            $120.00
Lower parts kit                        $60.00
Collapsible butt stock             $60.00
Barrel (14.5 with perm FH)     $230.00
Knights RAS                             $300.00
Total                                          $900.00

Some options would be

Carry handle  (a basic rear sight)  $85.00
Upgrade to a voltor stock               $100.00    

Total then would be                         $1085.00

Now granted it won't say "COLT" on it but I will get over that QUITE quickly. So I would say hunt around and do some shopping but you can get in to a basic M4 with a RAS for under a grand.

IPSC_GUY

P.S.

OH yeah one other thing Blocked Colt lowers. If I ever get the cash upp for a RDIAS I would not be able to use it in a Colt lower.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How much are these things going for? Now a couple of points of concern for me.

As M4Madness pointed out large pivot pins for the fire control group means your stuck with a stock trigger. That right there would be enough for me to pass but for some that isn't a big deal.

A lot of valid points, but you can get a Jewel trigger for the large Colt fire control pins.
That would be my primary concern for the lower solved right there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Only Colt makes a real M4 all the rest are just imitations.  Buy the Colt!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a Colt M4 (6400C).  I paid just under $1K...It's gonna cost you a little more than everyone else, but I thought it was worth it.  

Mine has the standard take down pins, so I'm good to go if I start swapping receivers.  No that I think about it, I should have waited another month, and purchased a NO-Ban model.  Oh well, live and learn.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh yes my good man!

Get it! You will always regret it if you don't. www.colt.com/law/lecarbine.asp

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#10]
edwin907

I was not aware that Jewel made a large pin trigger. I am a RRA's fan and will be trying out one of the new Chip Mcormicks soon. As such I will stay with small pin lowers.

As for getting it just because it says Colt M4 on the side... Ohhhh Please. They are so far removed from a REAL M4 issued to us in the Military as to be a worse imitation. Buy what you want based on WHAT YOU WILL BE GETTING for your hard earned money.

My recommendation (and it is just that) by the parts and build. You will get MUCH more rifle for about the same cash outlay.  Anyone disagree there?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]
One reason is your local dealer can do this also. Mine is doing it for me with no problem.

Also there is going to be a mob buyathon for these things. So there will probably be a wait for them. while $25.000 sits in someones bank making intrest. If the product is in hand then there is no reason not to buy one.

These M4 things are the coolest M4 jobs you can get on the planet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Who sells just the lowers?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Who sells just the lowers?

There is a guy selling them in the EE.

The only reason I can see you not jumping on this sell is that you already have what you want or that you are out of money.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#16]
If not for being involved in some builds lately, I would definately jump on one.  If you have the $$, get one and never look back.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top