Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 2:35:17 PM EDT
i need two pins removed.

on that holds bolt catch and the other is for the trigger gaurd.

how do i do this without scrapping and scarring the lower?

thanks

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Put masking tape on the receiver around the pins and then get a punch and plastic hammer and wail on them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
and use brass as opposed to steel punches.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I use glass fiber packing tape.

get a good set of punches from Sears.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Get some gunsmithing tools.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
take your time, don't wail on the pins.  in my experience it has been a lot easier driving those pins out than it was putting them in.  i hate trigger guard pins!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#8]
just go slow and don't pound away.  i've done 5 or 6 lowers and i havn't dented one yet.  the first one i used something to try and protect the finish.. now i just be careful.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I use glass fiber packing tape.

get a good set of punches from Sears.

How is that going to protect the side of the reciever?

Punches are not enough.

You need the tape to protect the side of the reciever from the knurling on the side of the punch when you are attempting to drive out the bolt hold open roll pin.

I was reffering to the trigger guard roll pin.
Yes, obviously the tape is a good idea, but if you try to use a standard pin punch instead of the proper sized roll pin punch for the trigger guard roll pin, you stand a much greater chance of having the punch slip and of marring  both the receiver and the trigger guard roll pin. A good roll pin punch will stay in place because of the nipple that seats in the roll pin opening, while you are driving the trigger guard roll pin in. It is so easy with a good roll pin punch I don't even use tape anymore.  THAT is how it protects the side of the receiver, a roll pin punch keeps the punch from slipping off the trigger guard roll pin. That's all I am saying.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top