Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 5:48:14 PM EDT
Bullet weight is not the only criteria that determines if the bullet will stabalize or not.

I know for a fact that the 25gr Hornady HP will stabablize just fine in a 1:12 17 caliber barrel, whereas the lighter 20gr V-Max design will not.

If the bullet is real light up front compared to it's length, like the polomer tipped bullets, you are going to need more twist than with a bullet that has it's weight set back, like a deep HP design with lots of empty jacket up front.

I have fired 60gr bullets with good success in 1:12 .223 barrels, so with the right design of a 62gr pill, it would probably work.  Maybe a deep HP, rather than an FMJ.

Who here on this board would argue that a heavier bullet would stablize in a slower twist barrel, but a lighter bullet would not?  It will take this group by surprise, but if you really want to discuss bullet design, this is not the site......   www.saubier.com would be a better choice.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeez.....I screwed this all up.  I was posting a reply and hit the "new" post.

Sorry guys.  Where's the delete function?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.

Berger VLDs work much better when used in slower twists relative to their wieght.

I had some soft ware once (back int the days of DOS) that seemed to place more importance on the bearing surface or length of straight side than just weight, in calculating optimum twist rate.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That is correct.  The bearing surface relative to the length of the bullet is important when figuring twist rates.  My post above wasn't quite worded right.  Too many beers..................

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sorry guys.  Where's the delete function?

"They" took our delete function from us. For our own good ya know.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top