Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 12:16:29 PM EDT
What I want is basicly all the options that I can't have now. What are your opinions on brand, purchasing a complete rifle or building my own with all the new goodies, brake, colapsable stock, length of barrel? Thanks for all the help.  I like Rock River Arms but I am open I am basicly trying to brainstorm all the companies and different major parts distributors. If you would list as many as you can and I think this will help a lot of people out that are in the same boat as me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
first off, welcome I notice we have lots of new guys popping up and thats a great thing.

hmm to answer you questions, I really can't cause I would start a flame war (i.e. what's the best brand?)
Most of your choices, in most categories, are personal preferences. If this will be your first AR I recommend waiting until after the ban ends and getting whatever you want. RRA is a good choice, and Bushmaster is a good choice. Again, if this is gonna be your first AR I recommend getting a complete rifle unless you want to build one. Because if you buy one complete, you could always take it apart and get to know it. Then your future ARs (and yes you will buy more) you could build them if you wanted. The excellent thing about ARs is that the possibilities are endless! good luck.

edit to add: when I say "wait until the ban ends" I mean that if you do that then you can have all the "evil" goodies such as a flash suppressor (FS) instead of a cheesy brake, and you can also have a collapsable stock if you choose to get a carbine. Again, the possibilites are endless.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is not a Colt, it's a copy.

20" HBAR.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

20" HBAR.

You're still a Great American!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

20" HBAR.

You're still a Great American!

Take's one to know one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Standing by for Flamage!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Duplicate posts are not normally allowed...  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=198654

As far as where to look....  See:  www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=2
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, aren't Colts copies by definition?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
For a first AR, this is what I would get:

Lower: RRA, Bushie, Colt, LMT, or any name brand vendor, about $100
Upper: Same as above, preferably flat-top (A3) since it gives you the flexibility of mounting optics later on, but do get the detachable carry handle for now.  About $95 for the upper, $95 for teh DCH
Barrel: Bushmaster 20" Gov't profile barrel assembly, pre-ban, with A2 FS.  IMHO, this is a great barrel for the money, very close to what the military uses, fairly lightweight and pretty accurate.  Runs about $220 from Bushmaster.  
Bolt/Carrier/CH: Bushie, RRA, LMT  Note: don't get a chrome plated carrier, but do get a carrier that is chrome lined in the bolt channel, about $120
Stock: A2 (fixed), M4 style (the RRA one is pretty good, and nice price) 6-position tele, or CAR style (4 position tele).  ~$50 for the A2 assembly, ~$75 for the collapsables
LPK: buy a name brand from reputable vendor, runs about $60.  Don't get any special triggers for now, the mil-spec LPKs are the most reliable and durable.  

Total: $700-$750 (might be even lower if you shop around, but stick to name brand parts)

This should get you an assembled AR, one that is pretty basic, but works well and should be fairly easy to modify/accessorize later on.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yea, copies of a rifle designed by Armalite
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
In all honesty, I think that the best thing to do for new owners is this.

Get a 20" HBAR (Chrome if you like) A2.  Stick with a fixed stock.  If you don't think you will ever want to put a scope on it stay with a fixed carry handle.

I believe this to be the best all around rifle.  Sort of middle of the road.  It is good for long range plinking / hunting, and works ok for home defense (16" would be better, but you should be going for middle of the road).  After you own this for awhile you will find out what you like and don't like.  Then you can get the rifle of you dreams (while still maintaining a kick ass first choice).

Almost forgot... Make it a Colt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's not a Colt, all the pins are the right size.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's quite enough out of both of you...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I smell something burning.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Hehe.  Sorry, I could simply not resist.
It won't happen again.  No, really.. it won't.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top