Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 10:57:59 AM EDT
I asked my local dealer if I buy a LEO rifle and have it shipped to him after the ban, will he have a problem handing it over to me.  He said that he hasent got a answer from the ATF on this yet.  Heck, they may never give a answer to that question.  Has anyone got any officeal information on this.  By the way,  I cant find a copy of the ATF letter about owning a LEO marked lower being leagle as long as it dosent have the evil features.   Can someone remind me where it is or post a link.   Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
A local FFL recently had an LEO marked lower only,  with a letter from the ATF stating that they could sell the lower to civillians.

Hope this helps,
Gribble
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]
to my understanding its not the fact that the lower would be marked LEO, DEA, FBI only that would be a problem to you. It would be the "evil" features that woudl get you in trouble. I have a buddy that has 2 LEO only marked ARs. They have a 20" and 24" barrel and an A2 stock. Perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Here ya go.  It is a letter I received from the ATF earlier this year.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here ya go.  It is a letter I received from the ATF earlier this year.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=24971

And there you have it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Um, this letter says that the rifle is legal because it doesn't have over the numberof evil features allowed by the ban.  I think we're confusing the stamp-mark "LEO ONLY" and "evil features."  The letter says nothing about post-Sept. 13th.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
If it helps at all there is a dealer on the EE pre selling LEO rifles to civilians for after the ban. So it must be perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Um, this letter says that the rifle is legal because it doesn't have over the numberof evil features allowed by the ban.  I think we're confusing the stamp-mark "LEO ONLY" and "evil features."  The letter says nothing about post-Sept. 13th.

What makes the "evil" features evil is the crime bill which is going bye-bye.  No law-no crime.  And I would be willing to stand before a jury of my peers for that one!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I took a copy of the letter to my dealer and asked that he be ready to hand me a LEO rifle on the 15th.  He read the leater and was happy that I showed it to him,  he didnt have any extensive knowadge of selling a LEO lower.  I think he is going to check into it himself.  I will be reminding him that I am planning on walking out of his shop with one the 15th.   Thanks guys for posting the letter for me.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Only problem may be that the FET is not paid by manufacturers for complete firearms made for LEO/military use.    So, if your dealer sells you a brand-spankin' new rifle that was made for LEO use (and thus no FET paid), I believe it could be seen as tax evasion.   Stripped receiver shouldn't be a problem since the FET isn't paid on them anyway.   I believe buybacks/surplus are typically considered OK for resale, since they were originally manufactured for, and use be LE.

Rocko
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top