Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 5:43:19 PM EDT
Is it difficult to punch the pins out of the front sight?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it difficult to punch the pins out of the front sight?

If you dont have a punch it is.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#3]
use a giant chunk of lead if you got it.  It's dense enough to not absorb the blows and won't mar the finish of the AR.  I also suggest to do it on a concrete floor.  If you do it on a wood bench the bench will absorb the blows and you'll end up peening the pin over like a rivet.  just align the punch on the pin, aim, and WHACK! and repeat a few times to get it started and then it should just fall out.  Velocity not mass with get it going, so use a relavitely small hammer that you can really whack with.  I find that with a sledge, one tends to decelerate in mid blow.  Just remember WHACK!,  if you tap-tap-tap, you'll peen it over like a rivet.  You can also drill them out and turn the taper pin into a roll pin then tap it out.  just becareful not to touch the barrel, and use the smallest bit you can.  good luck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried the small hammer whackity-whackity first, then gave up and biffed them with an 8-lb maul.  They popped right out!  Remember to fully support the barrel/front sight,as you are going to be getting a LOT of energy into them.  I laid mine between the boards on my back deck so it couldn't roll around, and held a small tack ahmmer on the pins while a friend swung the maul.  One pin took several thumps, the other just popped right out.
This was after a lot of whackitywhackitywhackitywhackity with the small hammer.

Don't use force, get a bigger hammer!

1911fan
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top