Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 10:26:18 PM EDT
I instantly fell in love with the gun and want to get a very good AR after ban is lifted.  What is a good company to go with and what goodies should i get for it, after the ban.  Thanking anyone in advance,  Junkman
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River Arms and LMT, and not always in that order.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a comparison chart of the major manufactures here:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=176349

Out of those, Armalite, Colt, Bushmaster and Rock River are all top notch.   I have a Colt and Bushmaster and love them both.  (But not at the same time)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River Arms and LMT, and not always in that order.

+1 .  You probably had that big smile on your face after you fired an AR for the 1st time.  I did.

Be safe,
556man
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I would agree that any of the aforementioned brands would be just fine, although Colt and Bushmaster are slightly on top due to the use of 4150 steel in thier barrels as opposed to 4140.  

But regardless of brand you choose you definatley want two things:

1.  Chromelined bore and chamber, this increases the life, durability and corrosion resistance of your barrel, thereby enhancing overall reliability.  Plus, the inherrant lubricity of the chrome will make cleaning easier.

2.  A3(4 depending on brand) flatop upper receiver, this will give you maximum flexibility in your AR's configuration which will inevitably change through time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
This is the one I just bought as my first AR.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa3s20.asp

Next will probably be an M4 Carbine type....
maybe this one:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa3s16.asp

KAC
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I instantly fell in love with the gun and want to get a very good AR after ban is lifted.  

Welcome to the addiction... but just remember, the wonderful 'sproinggg' sound your AR purrs in your ear is perfectly normal, Gene Stoner's built in magazine change indicator, you don't need magic grease on the action spring or some wizbang buffer toy to make the sproinggg go away...

When it comes to buying your first Black Rifle, stick with the ABC + R for a well built weapon...

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:23:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the  'bye ,  bye money ! '
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Ah you probably had no idea what you were in for when you picked up that rifle. I hope you are well off or don't mind NOT eating somedays. Yes it is like crack and the addiction is that bad .
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Welcome to the addiction... but just remember, the wonderful 'sproinggg' sound your AR purrs in your ear is perfectly normal, Gene Stoner's built in magazine change indicator, you don't need magic grease on the action spring or some wizbang buffer toy to make the sproinggg go away...

When it comes to buying your first Black Rifle, stick with the ABC + R for a well built weapon...

I too fell HARD for AR's after my 1st time out shooting one.... and bought 2 Colt pre-bans shortly afterwards.  I've never heard the infamous "sproingg" sound while shooting mine. I do use ear plugs and headphones, and maybe why I can't hear it. I hear the very metallic sound of the bolt re-loading the chamber after each round is fired but no sproinngg
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I instantly fell in love with the gun and want to get a very good AR after ban is lifted.  What is a good company to go with and what goodies should i get for it, after the ban.  Thanking anyone in advance,  Junkman

Welcome to a new addiction,I have been addicted 20 plus years now and it only gets worse.
Most of my AR's have been Colt but just recently got into building my own.It may be something you might want to consider doing yourself.In my opinion you should read everything you can on this site then decide what name brand you want or if you want to build one yourself.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to a new addiction,I have been addicted 20 plus years now and it only gets worse.
Most of my AR's have been Colt but just recently got into building my own.It may be something you might want to consider doing yourself.In my opinion you should read everything you can on this site then decide what name brand you want or if you want to build one yourself.

With a collapsible stock, the sproing sound is not as obvious.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#13]
spring noise?  squirt (2-3x as much as you use to brush your teeth/tooth) some RIG(rust inhibiting grease) in there(after you remove the spring) and smooth out w/finger(s).....wont hear it again.  but if ya do just re-apply.hot

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I think you should try building your own. You will have much more pride in it than if you just buy a rifle. That is just another route you could take. Regardless, you will be happy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think you should try building your own. You will have much more pride in it than if you just buy a rifle. That is just another route you could take. Regardless, you will be happy.

+1

but not from scratch. Buying stripped lowers and assembling them doesnt give you enough of a savings to be worth it... especially if you have to go out and buy the pin punches.

Assembling barrels and uppers is even harder.

Get a complete lower w/o buttstock and a complete upper assy and all the accessories you wat and assemble it.

the other best option would be to get a LE colt when the ban ends. They are cool for the simple fact they are marked AR-15... I'll probably be getting one and leaving it stock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]
where in FL are ya??
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#17]
If you want something like an M4... here is what I would do.  I went the long route and bougth a bushmaster M4A3.  Decided I wanted something a little more (for the ban and everything) so instead of having them build me another upper, I sourced out parts I really wanted.

Eagle Firearms had everything I wanted, including a 1/7 bushmaster 14.5 with a vortex attached.  They also had RAS numbered uppers, and RRA enhanced bolt groups.  So, I had them throw together an upper for me, and for around 520 bucks, I had a complete M4 upper, complete with side sling swivel and handguards.  No mars on it whatsoever, everything was perfect.  Couldnt be happier, and I got exactly what I wanted.

Costs about the same as a factory rifle, but you get to choose individual parts.

Or you can buy all the components and put them together yourself, if you're comfortable with that.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Broward county Pembroke Pines, Fl.  I see that you are from Ar, I'm there originally Helena,Ar.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#19]
ARMALITE
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's a link to some pic's of AR's that some of us have.  It should give you some good ideas.  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=187750

First decide on what type of sights you want to start with...iron...red dot or standard glass scope.

Next get plenty of mags and ammo.......................then practice, practice and practice.

Good luck and enjoy.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Welcome!

If you haven't done so already, please read the following: ammo-oracle.com and also read the articles in the "Wound ballistics information - Articles by Dr. Fackler" thread tacked up in the Ammo Forum.

It will save you many questions down the road.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Bushmaster, Colt, Armalite, Rock River Arms, LMT...just like the rest have said.  All will be made well and will operate reliably.  

As far as "goodies," I would think about what you'll be using the rifle for; Distance, like a varminter, or shorter range M4gery style defensive type weapon.  

A lot of guys here like to put a lot of crap on their rifles, and that's all well and good, but it does weigh the rifle down.  I'm an advocate of K.I.S.S. Only as much as neccessary and nothing more.  

You can either go carry handle (A2)or flat top (A3/A4) with removable carry handle.  I prefer removable carry handle, which allows for a more appropriately mounted red dot and cuts down on weight a tad.  

Aimpoint and Eotech seem to be the leading optics for a CQB type rifle.  Also, a lot of guys like ACOG, which will give you a greater magnification if you're looking at putting the round out a bit farther.  

Verticle Grips on your forend can be quite comfortable.

As far as after the ban goes.  I'm getting a collapsable stock, birdcage or other type of flash suppresor, might get a front site base with a bayonet lug, but I haven't decided yet.  

Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Junkman,

Welcome aboard.  I agree with those that recommend building your first, but that's just my opinion.  I had the tools and a modicum of assembly skills, so building the lower was actually fun (except for that stiff  hammer spring...damn).  If you don't feel that ambitious, the vendors the folks here recommended would be just fine.

Also, email me if you might be interested in joining a bunch of AR shooters in Dade/Broward who are resurrecting the old South Florida Defensive Carbine Club.  We're just talking about it right now, but it looks like it might actually pan out.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Enjoy the disease - there is NO cure.

miamilightning
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#24]
mine goes sprooing.  And I'm not changing it!!!  Welcome to the wonderful world of .223 shooting and ar's.  There's enough here to keep you busy for a long time!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome

Don't worry, before you know it you will have a 1200 pound safe full of AR's
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top