Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 5:26:14 PM EDT
This was the first time shooting my RRA 16" at distance. Went to a friends property and was able to get to 75 yds as the 100 yd position was swampy...anyway...

First group was 2 rounds close within 3" and the third was WAY high...like 8". Second group the same thing, but the flier was closer this time about 6"-ish away from group. Each three round group the flier distance was reduced. Strange.

The final couple groups of three and five rounds I really concentrated and took my time and was placing them in 2-3" groups with irons. I'm pleased with that while laying on the VERY uneven ground and all the 'skitoes attacking en mass.

Total rounds fired was around 50-60 rounds, all 100% function. All shots with Winchester 55gr FMJ.

Anyone had this happen with a new rifle? Was it "breaking in"?

Thanks for any responses.

note: posted on Troubleshooting but I think more people frequent AR Discussion.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
not to be a smart ass but it sounds like the shooter.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
No offense taken.  I had just sighted in my duty Colt AR with 14.5" with no problems at the same distance, same ammo, same shooter....strange.  These "fliers" were definite fliers.  I can tell when I f%^$ up and can call those bad shots like most of us can.  These felt good, but still way off center.  

Oh well.  Whatever it was it disipated and was sighted in nicely after the last groups....

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
were you using the same lower, triggers may be different enough to pull one, I have broken in 4 RRA barrels and havent had any flyers, was the flyer the last round fired?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You might want to try shooting from a bench using a bag or prop of some sort.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Flier was last round each time.  Rifle never broken apart during the entire shot.  And was shooting off the ruck, so very stable.  Hmmm.

Thanks to all for your ideas!  Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I was pretty much all over the place at 100 over iron on my RRA uppie.  I think it was shooter-induced-accuracy-loss.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#7]
like he said, dont mean to seem like a jackass, but it seems like its the shooter, possibly a flinch during the last shot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't know how I'd have been shooting "OK" with my old AR, then flinching with the new one and then not flinching after shooting it a bit....Oh well.   As I know many here are more AR knowlegible than I, I thought there might be an odd mechanical reason someone many know of....

Thanks, though, to all for suggestions and responses!  No insult felt here.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Try ejecting the last round manually w/o firing. Look it over and compare it to a round that has never been cycled. It may be getting tweaked cycling into the action. This could be mag or action/receiver related. If it is tweaked try loading one round into the same mag and watch it cycle manually into the chamber. then compare it to another mag. You may find the problem that way.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top