Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 3:48:54 PM EDT
Does anybody know of a company that makes, or sells AR bayonet lugs that attach to the barrel, that are not part of the gas block?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think thats a possibility dude. The lug needs to forged out of or cast on the fsb.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Your probobly right, but I was thinking maybe there is one that attaches under the gas block, to the barrel. I hope so, because I want to put one on my AR, but I don't want to get a whole new barrel. I asked my smith about putting a new gas block on, but he said it wasn't worth the money, and said what do you need it for anyways. He odviously doesn't understand the imminant threat of ninjas attacking!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Four or five months ago I saw a small device in SGN that could be installed on a carbine barrel to
mount a bayonet. Might check!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw a device that mounts on the barrel, between the front site post mounts a few weeks back, but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw this.  Check around, I know they're out there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Just ordered it.
thanks all
Brian
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just ordered it.
thanks all
Brian

Gotta love your attitude. A big middle finger to the sunsetting AWB. Before the sunset, I will buy a bayonet and will shoot my rifle with it mounted to celebrate the end of this unconstitutional law.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I am glad this question was asked since a friend just asked me about the same thing the other day . I had remembered seeing them on e-bay but know you can't find it there now . We both have 16" carbines we were thinking about using these on so the bayonet would not sit to far back , and no I have no plans on leading a bayonet charge down my street it just looks neat on the wall . Not to mention the look on peoples faces when they see it  .
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just ordered it.
thanks all
Brian

Gotta love your attitude. A big middle finger to the sunsetting AWB. Before the sunset, I will buy a bayonet and will shoot my rifle with it mounted to celebrate the end of this unconstitutional law.

I believe mounting a bayonet on your rifle is still illegal - but don't base any decision on my word, check into it for yourself.

I don't think mounting a bayonet itself is the issue on a post ban weapon, but the bayonet lug itself.

Wonder if BATF considers duct tape to be a bayonet lug?

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah it is still illegal, but it won't be in 24 days!!!, WOO HOO!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The bolt-on bayo lugs only work on 16" (non-midlength gas system) barrels, and clamp in front of the FSB.  On 14.5" and 20" barrels, the distance between the muzzle and the location of the bayo lug would require the lug being on the FSB, and the bolt-on types won't fit under it even if that would work.

Honestly, a bayo lug is really pretty useless even in a military situation.

-Troy

I understand they are still usefull for guarding prisoners and crowd control.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does anybody know of a company that makes, or sells AR bayonet lugs that attach to the barrel, that are not part of the gas block?

Try Deltaforce.com. I think I have seen them sell them at gun shows.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an old SKS that has the bayonet (blade type, not the "spear") permanently mounted to it (well, I could take it off with a screw) and I've shot it at ranges with nobody even blinking an eye (except for if they're not wearing hearing protection) at it.  Now, I leave it folded back, but I guess I could fold it foward... technically, it's still mounted even folded back or folded forward...

Oh... and I got this SKS back in '92 in California of all places.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#23]
To my understanding its the basic 5. Bay lug, pistol grip, hi-cap mag, colapsing/ folding stock, grenade launcher. A post ban can only have 2 of these features. This is according to the fedral law hand book. I'm not claimingto know it all though, I could be miss inturpreting it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:17:04 AM EDT
[#24]
yes they do make one.

.750 Bayonet Lug Adapter they also have a .570 Bayonet Lug Adapter

www.cmmginc.com/inventory_a/accessories_tbl.html
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
To my understanding its the basic 5. Bay lug, pistol grip, hi-cap mag, colapsing/ folding stock, grenade launcher. A post ban can only have 2 of these features. This is according to the fedral law hand book. I'm not claimingto know it all though, I could be miss inturpreting it.

That's a common misconception to include a magazine as an "evil feature." It is not.

To be an "assault weapon," a rifle has to be a semi-automatic, WITH a detachable magazine, and more than ONE of the "evil features." Pistol grip; folding or collapsable stock; bayonet lug; flash hider or threaded barrel for a flash hider; or a grenade launcher. Semi-automatic and detachable magazine are not "evil features,' but qualifiers. If the rifle is neither semi-automatic nor has no detachable magazine, it is NOT an "assault rifle" under the law, no matter how many evil features it has.

This can be found in the United States Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, Section 921 (a) (30) (B), which defines "assault weapons."

United States Code

(B)

a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(i)

a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii)

a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii)

a bayonet mount;

(iv)

a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v)

a grenade launcher;

That's the straight skinny, directly from The United States Code.

At least until September 14th.

Lonny

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't ever recall any federal laws addressing the MOUNTING of a bayonet (assuming your rifle is otherwise legal to own with a bayo-lug).  However, check your state laws.  5.5 inches is max length of a blade here in Texas... so its very rare I go out with my 17" blade bayo for my Enfield No1 MkIII,
much less mount it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd really like to be able to practice my bayonet strikes at the range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't ever recall any federal laws addressing the MOUNTING of a bayonet (assuming your rifle is otherwise legal to own with a bayo-lug).  However, check your state laws.  5.5 inches is max length of a blade here in Texas... so its very rare I go out with my 17" blade bayo for my Enfield No1 MkIII,
much less mount it.

FYi-

Many bayonets are double sided, and that makes them illegal regardless of length under 46.02.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#29]

FYi-

Many bayonets are double sided, and that makes them illegal regardless of length under 46.02.

I wonder about this.  If it's not used as a knife or a hand-held weapon but instead is mounted semi-permanently (via screw or bolt during initial construction) onto a military-type weapon, is it still illegal?  Maybe the simpleness of the issue eludes me, but I do recall being told that it was legal for me to leave the bayonet on my SKS, but on my Chinese SKS imported after '90 (or '92, I forget which), I had to remove it and it was illegal for it to be on there.

Any ideas/input/precedent/BATF letters/etc?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top