Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2004 4:23:22 PM EDT
I'm thinking of putting a collapsable stock on my carbine(pre-ban), and was just wondering how you remove the A2 stock, and then install the collapsable stock? If you could supply a website that has pics and shows the way to do it, that would be great.

TIA,
kc
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll need more than just a collapsible stock.

You need carbine length buffer tube, unless the stock has one built-in.
You need a carbine-length buffer spring.

A-2 held in place with basically 2 screws at the end of the stock.

Carefully unscrew and remove stock watching for the little spring, takedown pin detent,  on the back of the receiver that's held in place by the stock.

Don't let the spring fly across the room when removng the stock.

Next: remove buffer spring from buffer tube. Hold down buffer spring detent with thumb nail...work the spring out.

CAREFULLY unscrew buffer tube...capturing the buffer spring detent and spring before it shoots across the room.

While keeping the buffer spring detent compressed....screw on new carbine buffer, untill it comes into contact with buffer spring detent...locking it in place.

Slide Carbine Buttstock over the buffer tube, making sure to re-set the takedown detent spring without crushing it , and screw stock into place.

Replace the buffer spring...consider lubing it some with a hevay grease to quiet it..and you should be ready to go.

I've used a light loc-tite on the stock screws to keep it all in place, but many folks would never do it.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
How about this...does this have everything needed to install?

AR-15 stock
Link Posted: 5/18/2004 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2004 2:56:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Except for the spanner wrench, yes, that's everything you need.  However, be warned that these $30 stocks are total POS's.  It is very common for the tailpiece to crack right in half at the adjustment pin, and the tailpiece will be very loose on the tube and will rattle a lot.

-Troy

Absolutely right!  Spend the $30 or so more, and get the Rock River unit from Pete in NH. All the major aftermarket  brands, RR, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc are selling stock assys built by the same subcontractor, so you might as well get the least expensive---but that does not include the Chinese crap that thus guy is peddling.
Link Posted: 5/18/2004 4:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Except for the spanner wrench, yes, that's everything you need.  

-Troy

What's a spanner wrench and where can i find one- any AR15 parts retailer like DPMS, Bushy?

thanks,
kc
Link Posted: 5/18/2004 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Directions are at the bottom of this page; ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Link Posted: 5/18/2004 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a total idiot.  Exactly what do you do with the spanner wrench? Do you absolutely need to to screw the buttstock on ?

Also, are the two springs that are inlcuded with the telescoping stock, previously stated, both needed in order for the stock to work? I would think, it's only one spring, as that's all that's needed in an A2 stock.

Also, when the AWB dies, this stock will be legal, on all AR's, correct?

Thanks,
kc
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Absolutely right!  Spend the $30 or so more, and get the Rock River unit from Pete in NH. All the major aftermarket  brands, RR, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc are selling stock assys built by the same subcontractor, so you might as well get the least expensive---but that does not include the Chinese crap that thus guy is peddling.

Yep, I have a RRA stock and a Model 1 stock. They are identical except for the logo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top