Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 4:16:47 PM EDT
I posted this on the other side but got nothing back.    What is the easiest way to remove a buffer tube from the receiver?  I know it looks obvious but I have applied some torque and it does not want to break loose.  Is there a trick of procedure I'm missing?  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
CAR type or A2 type? CAR you need a special wrench or a pin punch and hammer to break loose the castle nut. A2 type maybe a strap wrench? There is a flat at the end you can slip a wrench on to. Some CAR type castle nuts come staked, this may take more force to break loose.

If your going to wrench on your AR try down loading this manual, it'll clear up alot of your questions! Isn't this site great!

AR -23 manual
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's an fixed stock buffer, there is a pair of flats on the tail end. If you have an AR tool that's good, if not get an open end wrench, I don't remember the size. Put the wrench on the tube and apply slow steady pressure counter clockwise. Don't beat it, or jerk it, just slow steady pressure. It should break loose and then turn easily. If not, eat spinach, and try again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Also if it's a Colt, some models they used blue locktite and some heat will be required.  They also loctited the FH also.......ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Also if it's a Colt, some models they used blue locktite and some heat will be required.  They also loctited the FH also.......ask me how I know.

Blue loctite is removable strength. It shouldn't require any heat.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top