Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2004 1:22:04 PM EDT
What is the recommended number of mags for an AR?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I like to keep between 15 to 20 USGI mags fully loaded and stored in USGI 3 mag pouches attached to my web vest.

Some guys own hundereds of mags. I'll be stocking up on NIW USGI mags once the AWB sunsets.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I had three, Orlites that came with my used rifle. I waited till I found a decent deal on 20 Colt 20's, then bought them.

www.helpnick.com
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#3]
At least 12 30's, that would give you 360 rounds and a manageable weight to carry.

But for SHTF....you can never have enough mags and ammo!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 21 20rd mags loaded and 12 30rd mags loaded.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
As many as you can get.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is the recommended number of mags for an AR?

Not trying to be smart but it probably depends on what you expect to use your rifle for.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
10-15 per rifle is a good start, then buy more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As many as you can get.

That's my belief
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have about 30.  I keep my eyes open and buy when I find good deals.  I believe you can never have enough mags.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have to ask you don't have enough, I stopped counting at 150.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry 30 at 29 rounds but I also dont have a pack configured to my load carry..ammo and water for SHTF and power bars for food.I have 2 saw pouches 7 mags each a vest or just the parts with the mag pouches that hold 8 2 additional M16 pouches back on either side of my 1 QT canteens and 2 in the rifle with a mag cinch my whole line 2 gear with a gallon of water ..a camel back and 2 1 qts,my cleaning kit and a knifee 70 lbs wich isnt bad if your in decent shape,I was real heavy but have put of 60 lbs in recent months now I can carry my gear,oh every thing is held on by an 8 point double thick H suspender oh and a molly buttpack I wish  my digital camera was working and when it does Ill post pics..927
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive got 20 I think.. All 30 rounders..

John
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you have to ask you don't have enough, I stopped counting at 150.

Yowza, that is a real lot of mags as I only have about 15.
What I do have is a bunch of loaded stripper clips in bandoleers.
For you SHTF guys, you can carry a lot more loaded stripper clips
than you can carry loaded mags.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't remember how many I have.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]
4 sterling 40 round mags, 1 100 round beta mag, 12 USGI 30 rounders, and 6 Colt 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#17]
You can never have enough Magazines, and for that matter you will need at least 10x the amount of ammo at the bare minimum to have in reserves

I have 50 30 rounders and 24 20 rounders
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never been able to use more than one at a time. The most I've ever needed loaded at one time was 4 - 2 with 2 rounds, and 2 with 8 rounds. That's for Rapids in Highpower. Add to that one more for single loading of the sighters, that makes 5.  Double that for spares and you might need 10.

I wouldn't go crazy hoarding the things, they still sell them. I don't forsee the world ending any time soon. Buy a few now and again when you see a screaming deal, otherwise dealers love to see that glazed "gotta have it" look.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#19]
My rule of thumb for NEED for magazines for any gun is figure out the most you will actually use at one time, then double that # (so you have a replacement/backup for each one).

Example, for a GLOCK I NEED 6 mags.  One in the gun, two in the spare belt carrier, and a replacement for each.  

SOOOO, how do you use your AR?  I have a few configs, but the most I would really carry is 12 in my Eagle vest (6 2 round pouches across the front) and one in the gun, total 13.  So I NEED 26.  If you are going with two USGI mag pouches on a belt (2 x 3=6), plus one in the gun (7), doubled is 14.  

Once you hit the GLOCKshooter's rule of thumb #, spend money on other stuff for a while.  When you have all of your other NEEDS met, feel free to buy as many more mags as tickle your fancy.    
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My rule of thumb for NEED for magazines for any gun is figure out the most you will actually use at one time, then double that # (so you have a replacement/backup for each one).

Example, for a GLOCK I NEED 6 mags.  One in the gun, two in the spare belt carrier, and a replacement for each.  

SOOOO, how do you use your AR?  I have a few configs, but the most I would really carry is 12 in my Eagle vest (6 2 round pouches across the front) and one in the gun, total 13.  So I NEED 26.  If you are going with two USGI mag pouches on a belt (2 x 3=6), plus one in the gun (7), doubled is 14.  

Once you hit the GLOCKshooter's rule of thumb #, spend money on other stuff for a while.  When you have all of your other NEEDS met, feel free to buy as many more mags as tickle your fancy.    

That is a good rule.  But serious, magazines have a life expectancy.  They DO wear out.  Get more.  If you have to ask, then you probably don't have enough.  Don't think about the money, think about how long you could shoot before you ever had to load a magazine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#21]
If you mean to have and store then of course as many as you can afford to get. The more the better.

But..............do you mean carry?  If so what's your mission?  Three gun matches or being a contractor in Iraq?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I  have 7 30rd magazines... thats the normal combat load for what I am issued by the Army... 6mags in 2 pouches and one in the gun...

i feel this is fine and makes me confident with what I will ever use my weapon for...  most fights with handguns are 3 rounds anyways...  if i have 210 rounds at my desposal it should allow me to fight a battle and allow me enough ammo to get away to a base station...

i have two 20rd's and plan on maybe picking up a couple more... my home defense go to gun is loaded with a 20rder because I figure for indoor battles 20's are nice since they are smaller... i have a 30rder next to it and i'll throw it in my pocket if i have a threat...  for home defense this is fine... for SHTF my 7 mag battle load is enough

20's are also nice for SPR type rifles where you need to use a bipod... for not digging your mag in the dirt like 30's can sometimes...

in my opinion...
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I have six in mag pouches and six more in a blackhawk mag tote plus two in a first samco mag doubler for a total of fourteen. Carry eight and six more for under the the car seat if I take it. I have a couple dozen more unloaded mags for insurance. Since I'm getting my wife a carbine for her b-day, I will probably put a few more mag doublers together. I load 25 rounds per mag go I carry a little extra.

A dozen good mags is plenty for a rifle. another hundred or so is just good form. LOL I would like to have a bandoleer of colt eighteens on hand as well.

If you go shooting for a whole weekend, you will find out why guys have 40 or more mags. Load on friday, reload on monday.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#24]
When you start to approach 1000 you should have enough!
What I mean is Buy all you can afford, Look for deals on the EE & Buy!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#25]
For any situation, I would say "As many as you can carry"....

In the Marine Corps, we usually only carried 6 to 8 30 round mags during training. I'm pretty sure if I would have ever been in combat, I would have had every pocket stuffed ammo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#26]
one billion
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
one billion

Perhaps too conservative, I think.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#28]
What is the standard military load?  I'd go with that plus what ever else you could comfortably carry.  Since the majority of us would be lone defenders and not part of a organized offensive team, it's whatever you can muster.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd say have two mags lashed together on the weapon, 8 on a chest carrier to help keep the weight down, then just how many more you want to hump in an assault pack with the rest of your gear.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I keep a web gear setup of 7 mags (6 in pouches, one in gun). It's enough for what I envision needing in a SHTF situation. But, I do have numerous extra loaded mags sitting around, plus tons of ammo on strippers that my wife could help load mags with, in a pinch.

In any event, the gun will be glowing hot, cooking off, and unuseable before I run out of loaded mags. Now, if I have to go mobile, it's the 7 30-rd mags, plus some on bandoliers.

Remember, a loaded mag is 1.1 lbs (4 oz mag, 13 oz ammo, approx). A mag pouch is 7 oz, so having 90 rds on bandoliers instead of mags saves you 19 oz extra weight. And really now, how likely are you to have to expend 210 rds and not be able to retreat/hide and load a mag or two off strippers? You're probably out of the fight before you expend 210 rds, if you aren't spraying the landscape...

As for how many mags, I figure at the rate I shoot, I have one mag a year, at least, go bad/gets damaged. So, 2 rifles with duty loadouts,(14) and at least 20 more in addition. Figure at least 15-20 per weapon, even more so on guns that you'll have a hard time finding RELIABLE battlefield replacements...like Mini-14s, etc. :)

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread is worthless with out pics
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#32]
i have 5 30's and 3 20's
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I dont have any mags.  I load rounds one at a time!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
This thread is worthless with out pics

Certainly!

My range mag and ammo stash. There are 14 30 rounders and ten 20 rounders in each 50 cal ammo can. Some of the mags are laying down and not visible:

Other ammo and spare range mags:

I also have several dozen new-in-wrapper 30 rounders set aside for future use, and enough spare springs, floorplates, and followers to refurb just about everything I own. Some have called this excessive, but with multiple magwells to feed it's nice to have enough to go around. I throw away three or four mags every year, usually worn out due to cracked feedlips. This year I started using a LULA, so it will be interesting to see if it prolongs the life of my range mags.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If that happens, I hope your knife skills are up to El Salvadorian standards...  

-Troy

You talk'in bout that guy in Iraq who fought his way back to base camp using a pocket folder?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Would you recommend a thigh pouch, hip, or on the vest?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Not to mention that in a combat environment, mags get lost or damaged at an alarming rate, particularly on night ops.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Would you recommend a thigh pouch, hip, or on the vest?

I prefer a Vest/LBV. put some gear on and go out and low crawl, do combat rolls, etc and see what works for you. It is the only way to tell. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I dont have any mags.  I load rounds one at a time!

You need to change your profile.  You obviously live in Kalifornia not Washington.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
one billion

Perhaps too conservative, I think.

Your right, it was just a low-balling estimate
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top