Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 7:01:59 AM EDT
I bought a new bushmaster this weekend.  It is the carbine with a 16" barrel and an A2 upper.  Is there anything that anyone suggests purchasing for it right away.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Ammo.  Lots of ammo.

Mags are important, too.

One day, you may decide to get a sling.  Maybe one person in three finds them useful.

Everything else is useless crap.  You will realize that, someday.

Get ammo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I went the cheap route i got 30rnd mags from cheaerthendirt.com they are not oralite. Any expierence with those mags.  
Thanks for the fast response.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ammo.  Lots of ammo.

Mags are important, too.

One day, you may decide to get a sling.  Maybe one person in three finds them useful.

Everything else is useless crap.  You will realize that, someday.

Get ammo.

I agree with the magazines and ammo.  Read the magazine and ammo faq documents.  Stick with good, USGI magazine.

Slings are very useful depending on your application.  

Some of the "useless crap" stuff is actually very useful, again given the application.  For example, if you plan to use the weapon for home defense, a flashlight is actually a valueable accessory.  Target identification is something I'd consider useful.

Congrats on your purchase.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I went the cheap route i got 30rnd mags from cheaerthendirt.com they are not oralite. Any expierence with those mags.  
Thanks for the fast response.

No offense - but that was STUPID.  You should have asked here first.  Those cheap magazines are notorious for not working reliably or going bad very quickly.

First choice should be USGI, second would be Thermold.  Yeah they cost more - but they work and they keep on working.  The same is rarely said of the cheap magazines (there is a reason why they are cheap and still available after 10 years of the ban....).

Leave the Orlites & UK steel magazines till after you have a few of the USGI magazines.

Now quickly cancel that cheaperthandirt order and go get some USGI magazines.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the club!

You picked a good brand.  Enjoy and shoot often.  Then.............one day you will realize that there are numerous accessories that you can customize your AR with for various applications.

You don't have to keep the "plain Jane" look on your AR. Life is to short to be bored with you AR because you listened to the wrong person especially a foreigner.

Born in the USA!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I bought a new bushmaster this weekend.  It is the carbine with a 16" barrel and an A2 upper.  Is there anything that anyone suggests purchasing for it right away.
Thanks

A digital camera so you can post pics of it!!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Forest,

The UK steel mags I have work fine.  Why do you say that?  Actually, they are in some ways better than the USGI beaters out there, in my opinion.

G23c
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Enjoy that new Bushmaster!

Ammo & Mags. Get good with irons and get used to your new rifle.
Then, think about extras if you want them.

~ s0ulzer0

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top