Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 6:07:17 PM EDT
Im new to the site but have been getting the overall feel of it all for about 2 months before signing up.

I have been going down the ar road for some time now.
The AR's ive had: Colt HBAR SOLD IT Thank GOD;;  Bushmaster M17S SOLD IT Just had too I mean it was a M17S;; PO Carbon-15 Type 97S SOLD IT Kinda Glad I Did with all the problems people have had with the PRO ORDs.
So now all I have a Glock 17 and A Winchester 1897 Shotgun. Im going to by 1 Rifle before Sept. just in case the skys stay dark or get really darker. I want it to be a 16" carbine flat top no sights I want to use my Aimpoint 5000XD 2X, either AR gas or Operating rod sys. dont really care about preban or post ban.

So I beg of you Gentlemen and Ladies What Exactly do I Get.
Progress Comes Through Change
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Justed wanted to stop by to say WELCOME!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
What budget?
Chrome-lined barrel, yes, no?
Preference for handguards: Standard, free float, rails, no rails?
Oh, and do you want to buy a complete rifle or a kit? Or assemble from parts?

Right now a 16" Varmint kit from Model 1 Sales fits the bill. $510, plus an extra $100 for a lower receiver. Comes with a railed gas block and flattop. However, doesn't come with a chrome lined barrel, only options are stainless steel and chrome moly. Or you could just order the standard CAR; with free floaters its only $475, plus the lower.

If you are planning to just buy an entire rifle, sorry but I can't help you much. That's definitely not my department, though Bushmaster seems to be a good choice. Also Rock River Arms is a very good place to buy rifle parts, and they also sell whole rifles IIRC. RRA has a lifetime warranty as well.

The most important things to decicing what you should buy are uses, price (if you are on a budget) and personal preference, in no particular order.

Welcome aboard.
-N3rd
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
rotorblade, Welcome to the Clubhouse !!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome!

It sounds like you're looking for a SHTF carbine so I think you can find the details here:

Originally Posted Here www.ar15.com/content/articles/idealRifle/
The "ideal rifle" as described above is an AR-15 with a short (14.5 or 16) lightweight or M4-contoured barrel with 1/7 or 1/9 twist (latter preferred), flash hider, M4 collapsible stock, A1 carry handle receiver (with A2 aperture). Options can include illuminated optical sight and a weapon-mounted light. A scope can re-balance a front-heavy rifle (caused by tactical light). This configuration gives the greatest flexibility under a variety of conditions, and performs its duties as well as or better than any alternative.

You, of course need a removable carry handle.  You'll want chrome for a  SHTF carbine.

What this means is that you can pretty much buy the rifle discribed above from anyone: Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River Arms all come highly recommended.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Bushmaster Superlight Carbine with the A3 upper. Don't get the carry handle, get a an ARMS #40 instead.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the site.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome, the guys here can answer your questions and put you on the right track.  You'll find this site an invaluble resource for infomation, facts and opinions.  Don't be afraid to ask, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.  
HFG
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Welcome, the guys here can answer your questions and put you on the right track.  You'll find this site an invaluble resource for infomation, facts and opinions.  Don't be afraid to ask, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.  
HFG

DITTO!

To be safe, it's best to wear a helmet etc. when at the key board, it has saved me plenty of times, ESPECIALLY MY FLAK VEST!
Jack
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi and welcome....
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcom rotorblade, Consider the Bushmaster line. I'm happy with mine
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Trust me, build your own.  You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks For The Imput Guys

Most of you are saying Build one or get a Bushy or RRA. I hear yall loud and Clear. I think building could be done but do not trust myself yet with it. It took 6 months for me to get the nerve to disassemble my Glocks. SOOOOoooo

Im going to get a Bushmaster Carbon-15.

Ok has everybody picked up there jaws yet.

I really liked the PRO ORD 97S but it had to go.
Bushy has fixed the Carbons so im going to do it again. Besides Injection molded carbon is a very intersting material I have some history with the stuff anyway.

Well Here we go Fights ON.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Im going to get a Bushmaster Carbon-15.

Ok has everybody picked up there jaws yet.

I really liked the PRO ORD 97S but it had to go.
Bushy has fixed the Carbons so im going to do it again. Besides Injection molded carbon is a very intersting material I have some history with the stuff anyway.

Hey, I'm with you.  If I had a little more courage  for the unusual stuff I would join you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top