Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 4:20:32 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster AK Shorty rifle with fixed carry handle and ARMS 39A2 with Aimpoint.  I would like to add a forward grip to my rifle.

What is the best way to do this?

I was thinking of getting the Fobus M33 handguards and only installing the lower handguard, while keeping my factory one for the top (since the M33 will probably not fit under the ARMS 39 and I don't need an upper rail with the ARMS 39).  Will the lower Fobus handguard match up nicely with the Bushmaster factory upper handguard?

One other question...how hard is it to remove the handguards?  Do I need the removal tool that Bushmaster sells?

I appreciate any information.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd suggest a RAS or RIS, but there are other ways to do it, I'm not familiar how solid they are.  The handguards are not hard to remove, you do not need to buy the tools.  It'd be helpful to have another person to help. While you pull the delta ring down, the other person can tilt the handguards out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If all you want is to add the fore grip just get a rail that attaches to the handguard.They are sturdy and can be had for $16 to $20 dollars .A good fore grip will cost a bit more but for about $80 to $100 dollars mine fits the bill rather than spending $300+ for a ras when that is the only feature I need.If you need mounting points for other stuff then by all means get a RAS if not save your money.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#3]
model927,

Can you point me to where I can get one of these rails that attaches to the handguard?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
model927,

Can you point me to where I can get one of these rails that attaches to the handguard?
View Quote

Like this?

[url]www.gggaz.com/products/ar15ufir.php[/url]

BTW- I have some M-4 handguards w/this installed for sale.  IM me if you are interested.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Advanced Armament sells a set (rail, vert grip) for the same price as the Fobus set.  I think for a few sheckles more you can get a light mount also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys - now I'm in the know!
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#7]
To answer your question, YES using only one half of the Fobus M33 will match the upper
half of carbine handguards just fine.

Aslo, model927 has a great point about getting a rail that mounts to your handguard.
I've used the rail and vert grip from Advanced Armament. It worked great and was less than $50.

~ s0ulzer0
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top