Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 8:47:37 AM EDT
Just making sure if its legal to buy a pre ban lower receiver, and then build it up with a goodies that you cant have on a post ban receiver. I have read that some of the people on this forum do that, but on other sites I have also read that because its build after september 94 (think thats the date) that it is post ban.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just making sure if its legal to buy a pre ban lower receiver, and then build it up with a goodies that you cant have on a post ban receiver. I have read that some of the people on this forum do that, but on other sites I have also read that because its build after september 94 (think thats the date) that it is post ban.
View Quote

If the reciever was a rifle as of the cutoff date, then it will remain a preban, even if you "change the configuration of the rifle". But you better have documentation proving it either left the factory as a complete rifle, or was built up prior to the cutoff. Certain pieces, like Colt SP1s and SP2s, by definition were only made as complete rifles, and were pre ban shipped. Others, you'll either have to get a factory letter that they went out as rifles, or some sort of documentation from the previous owner that it was built as of the cutoff.

If it was a stripped reciever as of the cutoff, then anything built on it afterwards is post ban.To be honest, I have no earthly idea about how ticky BATF is about the "proof" thing, but that's the letter of the regs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, if the preban lower receiver that you're getting is stripped and not
roll marked AR-15 (thus banned by name) it is now a POST-ban lower receiver.
Sold without it's preban features making it lose it's preban status.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
What about "Sporter match HBAR"of witch there are preban models that are not marked AR15.As long as you can prove it left the factory as an assembled rifle your fine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The burden of proof as to whether the weapon is truly a preban is on the owner. Ive asked this question several different times to different ATF agents. And finally one in DC. Who told me in so many words "Proof is whatever you feel comfortable with" (Talk about ambiguous) Many guys go with a letter from the mfg. as to its status. Ive got a Pre ban BM with a letter from them, and a Preban Oly, which due to their fire, cannot be verified as an assembled rifle. but I bought this one from a Swat operator in Kansas ( it was his entry gun B4 his dept. switched to issued MGs.) I feel comfortable with the Oly based on that.. John
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What about "Sporter match HBAR"of witch there are preban models that are not marked AR15.As long as you can prove it left the factory as an assembled rifle your fine.
View Quote

If the lower was stripped when you got it, regardless of the serial number or if it left
the factory complete, it has lost it's preban status.
If you got it as a complete lower with preban features, telescopic stock & pistol grip
you'll be ok. Some will still disagree with that, but it will be hard to prove.

If you got this cash, off the books, then nobody will know anyway once you have it put
together.

In a few months, all this may not matter anyway.

~ s0ulzer0
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top