Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 7:36:14 PM EDT
I just got a couple of these slings and am baffled by one feature. On the front near the attaching hook is a fastex type buckle. I assumed this was a quick release buckle if you had to ditch the weapon. Instead it simply allows appx 6" of the sling which is doubled up and Velcroed to extend. What is the purpose of this?

Anyone know?

Overall the slings are well made but I had read that the snap links were H&K type... They are not and furthermore they are plastic.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:36:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one of those sling also. Best I can figure, the extra length allows a patrol carry of your rifle. Since I have the sling attachment points on the bottom of my front sight base and buttstock it makes for an awkward patrol carry, you would have to hold the rifle upright at all times. Mine also has the plastic hooks. They look pretty stout I'm surprised yours broke Robert2011, glad to hear no damage was done to your rifle.

Get a CQB 3 point sling, very well made and infinately more useful that the Israeli model.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought three of them about a year ago, and have already retired two to the parts box, with the third one on borrowed time. I do takr creidt for being smart enough to cut those damn plastic hooks off from the jump, and using the loops they went thru as mount points for para cord loops, but that's only one of the things wrong w/them.

They're too damn wide, for starters; and the slippery material they're made out of means you've got to cross body the sling, or keep your hands holding the thing all times, or it'll go right off yout shoulder.

All the geegaws and add ons are just stuff that gets in your way when you want to get the piece into action quickly, and really serves no useful function on a day to day basis.

If you're into Israeli type mil stuff (I am[:D]), the older model slings, for the Galil and FN FALs are much more practical. Tan woven canvas, they stay on your shoulder; wider than the US GI model, but not so wide you can't find a niche in your shoiulder to snug 'em into; and long enopugh that you can hang the rifle around youre ankles if you want to.

They come w/ metal hooks and/or cloth type hanging loops. I take the hooks off and just use the loops.

Sayeret may use those other types, but they just don't meet my needs[;D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]
On the front near the attaching hook is a fastex type buckle. I assumed this was a quick release buckle if you had to ditch the weapon. Instead it simply allows appx 6" of the sling which is doubled up and Velcroed to extend. What is the purpose of this?

If this feature is what I think it is, you size the sling for your shooting side shoulder and if you need to shoot week side shoulder you hit the release and that gives you enough length to shoot from the week side.  We have the same setup on our P90s and M4s.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I think y'all are right about the transition idea. Like this demonstrates: [url]http://www.cqbsolutions.com/sop_sling.htm[/url]

Overall the sling is a dissapointment but I guess I'll use them on some of the "Low Speed" weapons. CQB, here I come!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the version with the metal clips and have it on a 16" Oly.  I used para cord and duct tape (stock) to attach it and, so far, haven't had any problems with it.  I attached it so that the sling attaches to the top of the rifle and I either carry it around my neck if I anticipate shooting or put my arm through the sling and carry the rifle muzzle-down.  Both ways are quite comfortable.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top