Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 9:58:56 AM EDT
First, is it illegal just to own a LEO AR (stripped)Lower, if you aren't law enforcement?
- If the AWB sunsets, is it ok to build up into a complete rifle then, or is there more to it?  I realize that AWB is still a ways out, and a lots of speculation.  Also, I think I read it is OK to build a LEO lower into a post ban, this true?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It is not ok to have a leo reciever.  About a year ago.  I bought a rifle from a dealer.  It was a cotl government carbine.  I called colt and had the serial numbers ran and found out that it was a leo rifle with out the markings.  It was made in 1995.  Had all preban features.  Long story short, I had to return the rifle to the dealer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Once the ban's done it will definetly be legal for regular Joe's to have LEO stamped lowers in whatever configuration.  I keep hearing people say that they are legal for regular Joe's to own right now provided the gun is not in assault weapon configuration.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep hearing people say that they are legal for regular Joe's to own right now provided the gun is not in assault weapon configuration.
View Quote

Information like that is worth what you pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
There are about 40 or so threads answering these questions (or perhaps clouding the issue even more). Basically its OK to own a LEO marked reciever as long as it is not in assault config. Someone has posted ATF letters confirming such.

After there is no AWB the markings on the reciever mean nothing, and they can be built in any configuration (within NFA guidelines).
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#6]
sooooooooooo........!!!

lets get this right .., are you folks saying that once the ban sunsets, all this "LEO & MILITARY ONLY" marked items will be fair game for us lowly non badge toters ???

i have been told that Colt will never stamp lowers with "AR-15"......, except for the military & LEOs, sooooo..., once more, AFTER THE BAN,  can my nephew, a cop.., buy a "pre-ban" Colt for me as a gift & give it to me that has the "AR-15" stamping on the receiver ??

i guess the best thing to do is save the money & wait till next year & see what happens.......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top