BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 7:14:31 AM EDT
Gents--

Clearly a question only a newcomer would ask, but here goes:

I read in my bushmaster manual that you're not supposed to 'ride' (or push) the charging handle forward. instead you should let it move forward when the bolt closes.

my confusion comes in the situations where you want to lock the bolt open--must you leave the charging handle extended and unclosed until it's time to close the bolt?? seems like that handle might get in your way, snag clothing etc.

thanks!

S&B223
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#1]
If you've got the bolt locked open you can slide the charging handle back into the upper and latch it...

edited to add:  Welcome to the Black Rifle Addiction and ARFcom!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You can push it forward in that situation, it's just saying when you release it let it snap forward on the spring pressure.

If you try to push it forward when the bolt assembly isn't locked back you're just going to slow the progress and cause Failures to feed.

So when you lock it back using the small portion of the bolt catch, feel free to push that handle forward.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Another Newbie question.  Should a charging handle fit all uppers?  I have 2 uppers, 1 bolt carrier/bolt and 1 charging handle.  The charging handle will not seat all the way in the Wilson upper (appears to get hung up on the gas tube, but is fine on the upper that it came with.  Am I missing something?  Thank you
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If the weapon is Milspec, then yes, all parts should be interchangeable.  This is part of the "GI-proof"ness.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The gas tube could be bent.  Take out the bolt carrier and look at the upper from the bottom, while trying to close the charging handle.

Also, does it snag only when the carrier is in place?  Or all the time.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top