Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 2:30:07 PM EDT
Besides being paper weights, today I found another use for the dreaded Bushmaster Y-Comp that does not piss of your neighbor.  

Wanted to catch the last few striped bass that are lurking in the waters off shore, but did not have any egg sinkers.  Wala, a little rubber tubing and a nip here, tuck there, I have two really nice Bushmaster egg sinkers.  Wish I could show a picture of the fish I caught today, but they were all shorts, so nothing was brought home.  Forgot to bring the fish stretcher.

Any other useful ideas for the dreaded Y-Comp?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My condolences to anyone stuck with one of these perm-attached an an M4 barrel.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I love how flat mine shoots.....but jesus my Tinnitus is NOT getting any better with that thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:51:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard negative comments about the  
Y-comp before. Whats the gripe? Is it just the added noise or looks?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My condolences to the gentleman from Kalifornistan. Yes, they are loud and ugly!
But the y comp does a good job at virtually eliminating muzzle climb. Friggin AWB!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

the 'redirected' blast is noticably louder than an AR without a brake.  All brakes are loud, but the YComp is more so.

Does it's job very well though.  No muzzle climb.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

My condolences to anyone that has to shoot against me and my terrible Mini-Y comp.

Muzzle brakes were designed to eliminate muzzle rise and reduce recoil.  As a product of their efficiency, they are loud.  Shooters that participate in tactical rifle matches, CQB matches, and IPSC 3-gun matches have grown to appreciate the benefits of a muzzle brake.

Seriously gentlemen, I grow tired of all the complaining over the Bushmaster muzzle brake.  It does EXACTLY what it was designed to do.  If your style of shooting, or your own abilities prevent you from appreciating it, then buy something else.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster will exchange a Mini-Y comp barrel for another barrel and comp of your choosing (as long as it's the same length). That's what I did with mine after I got tired of having not only the noise but also gases being directed back into my face. I just called them one day when I finally got fed up with it and asked them what I could do. The tech guy at Bushmaster totally understood my dissatisfaction with the Mini-Y and was more than happy enough to make things right. I even got the barrel upgraded to heavyweight because Bushmaster was out of the standard barrels. Bushamaster is by far the best company out there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Rabbit9 - well said!

I love mine.  If you don't like it, then don't get near me when I'm blasting!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The Y-Comp is an excellent muzzlebrake, but very disturbing to the people behind and next to you.  Muzzle climb does not seem to be an issue for me, for I tend to use my sling and forward grip as an aid to keep the rifle positioned where I want it.

I tried using the brakes as Christmas tree ornaments, but keep falling off.  I guess my tree does not want anything to do with the brakes either.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bushmaster will exchange a Mini-Y comp barrel for another barrel and comp of your choosing (as long as it's the same length). That's what I did with mine after I got tired of having not only the noise but also gases being directed back into my face. I just called them one day when I finally got fed up with it and asked them what I could do. The tech guy at Bushmaster totally understood my dissatisfaction with the Mini-Y and was more than happy enough to make things right. I even got the barrel upgraded to heavyweight because Bushmaster was out of the standard barrels. Bushamaster is by far the best company out there.
View Quote

Hmm...

I asked Bushmaster if they would replace my mini-Y comp with Phantom FS after AW Ban dies, and they said they only do it for new barrels. Did you buy a new barrel too?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Hehe, my 3 brothers and I all have Y-Comps on our M4s.  A couple of weeks ago we were doing some tactical drills at our local gun club, and the range master came down to see, in his words, who was "raising so much hell back here".

Double plug and go I say.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Y Comp on my bushy as well, and it definitely does it's job of reducing muzzle rise (and even some of the felt recoil!).   But yes, the comp's make the gun RIDICULOUSLY loud...  Fired the thing once without earmuffs and I swear, it made my ears bleed.

Anyone know of a good way to remove the comp *AFTER THE AWB SUNSET* ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By MaverickMkii

Hmm...

I asked Bushmaster if they would replace my mini-Y comp with Phantom FS after AW Ban dies, and they said they only do it for new barrels. Did you buy a new barrel too?
View Quote

My rifle was fairly new when I called and it cost me $40.00 to exchange it outright for a new barrel, but they also could have told me to f**k off and buy a barrel at full price but didn't. Maybe somebody with a newer rifle who is also dissatisfied with their Mini-Y will read this and do the same.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Y-Comp is an excellent muzzlebrake, but very disturbing to the people behind and next to you.  Muzzle climb does not seem to be an issue for me, for I tend to use my sling and forward grip as an aid to keep the rifle positioned where I want it.

I tried using the brakes as Christmas tree ornaments, but keep falling off.  I guess my tree does not want anything to do with the brakes either.
View Quote

Again, we're not talking about plinkers or NRA/CMP Highpower.  If that's your idea of "working out" with your AR, then stay away from the muzzle brakes.  But, if your trying to double tap a target in the A-zone at twenty yards and keep the split times in the teens, then the Mini-Y is the only way to fly.

Brakes aren't for BENCH QUEENS.[}:D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Again, we're not talking about plinkers or NRA/CMP Highpower.  If that's your idea of "working out" with your AR, then stay away from the muzzle brakes.  But, if your trying to double tap a target in the A-zone at twenty yards and keep the split times in the teens, then the Mini-Y is the only way to fly.

Brakes aren't for BENCH QUEENS.[}:D]
View Quote

Do you believe that body mass and strength has something to do with the ability to control a weapon's muzzle climb and perceived recoil?  Shit, if you are 100 pounds soaking wet, yeah you need all the help you can get.

The thread was started to be humorous, guess not too many people saw it that way.  Never once said the Y-Comp is a bad brake, just a disturbing one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I see the humor, really I do.[:D]

It's just that the threads whining about the Mini-Y comp are approaching those asking what gun Al Pachino was using in the movie HEAT.[;D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Noise and looks, even the Bushmaster boys will have to admit that its one of the ugliest breaks on the planet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Bushmaster boy here.  I have two mini-y tipped M4's and wouldn't change them in any way.

Grown men griping about the sound of a fine rifle...NOW THAT'S UGLY!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top