Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 5:27:30 AM EDT
I was looking at an AR yesterday that had a flat top reciever.  On the ejection port side, top rear, between the charging handle and the brass deflector, there is a small "A" symbol which I assume is the manufacturer's mark.  Anyone have a clue as to who made it???  I Have seen a similair symbol on a Bushmaster removable charging handle, but Bushmaster's flat top upper has a "keyhole" symbol in the same spot.  Also, how can you tell a cast upper from forged???

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure someone on here can tell you which forge that mark belongs to, but it only tells you who made the [i]raw forging[/i] for the upper.  As far as I know no manufacturer marks their uppers so there's no way to tell who did the machining & finishing on [i]any[/i] upper.

IIRC Oly has a page on their site about how to tell a cast lower from a forged lower.  Some of that would also apply to uppers, but I don't know of any cast uppers, except maybe the Plinker from Oly, but that's not a flat-top.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
These marks tell who did the raw forging, not the actual finish machining of the part.  A broken up "A" is Anchor Harvey.  The keyhole is Cerro metal products I believe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the "A" is for Alcoa.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top