Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 12:14:34 PM EDT
Got my new RRA Varmint 16 Thursday and tested it out with various loads over the weekend.  Here are some random notes on my experience.  (This is my first AR, by the way.)

1) EOTech was adjusted WAY high at first.  I had to go down approximately 20-30 clicks to sight it in.

2) the EOTech dot seemed larger than 1MOA.  It completely covered my target dot (~1") at 50 yards.  Isn't that 2 MOA?  I turned down the brightness but it didn't matter.  
3)The very first round I "fired" didn't go BOOM.  Inspection revealed a very light pin strike... this happened several times on a new mag.  Finally, I started pushing the charging handle forward and rapping the forward assist a couple times.  Once, I even had to unload and dry fire a couple times before it would go BOOM.  Is this operator error?

4) I tried Winchester USA 55gr FMJ, WinUSA 45gr HP, UMC 55gr FMJ, Wolf 55gr HP, and Win Q3131A.  Best groups at 25 and 50 yds?  Wolf!  I couldn't believe it.  Also, had milder recoil than the rest, and stunk like hell....  worried about doing damage, so I might not use it anyway.  

5) Tried to rapid-fire one mag of the USA 45gr HP.  About 6 rounds into it I had a stoppage.  Looks like the tip didn't fully feed into the chamber because when I removed the case(from the magazine!?!) the bullet was jammed up in the case and powder dumped everywhere... that was new to me, but I'm new to AR's...

6) Hunted for 2 days with it, and with a good sling, it didn't feel as heavy as it is. (8 lbs)
Glad I went with the heavy barrel.

7) Overall, an absolute blast, I can't wait to put a good scope on it as the gun appears MUCH more precise than the EOTech.  I'll bet I can get better than 3/4 MOA with home-cooked ammo.

Comments?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
[:O]Wolf in your RRA Varminter?!

[nono]

Now that I am done with my Wolf bashing (love it for my AK though), what kind of magazines are you using?  Sounds like you might have crappy mags giving you trouble.

I highly recommend testing heavier bullets in your Varminter too.  Mine did alright with 55 grain reloads (about 1 moa), but once I moved up to 75/77 grain bullets, my group sizes cut in half.  Expensive ammo if you buy factory, but well worth it IMO.  Black Hills makes high quality rounds with 75 and 77 grainers.

And congratulations on your first AR!  [beer]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[:O]Wolf in your RRA Varminter?!

[nono]

Now that I am done with my Wolf bashing (love it for my AK though), what kind of magazines are you using?  Sounds like you might have crappy mags giving you trouble.

I highly recommend testing heavier bullets in your Varminter too.  Mine did alright with 55 grain reloads (about 1 moa), but once I moved up to 75/77 grain bullets, my group sizes cut in half.  Expensive ammo if you buy factory, but well worth it IMO.  Black Hills makes high quality rounds with 75 and 77 grainers.

And congratulations on your first AR!  [beer]
View Quote

I just got the Wolf to see how "evil" it was.  haha!  No more Wolf, though it _was_ accurate.

The magazines were NIW LaBelle teflon-coated 30 rounders. Those are supposed to be good ones, right?  I guess I will mark them to make sure I don't have a bad mag.

Thanks for the advice on the heavier bullets.  I will definitely try the Black Hills.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Dawg,
I've had the same problem with the 45 gr hollow points in one of my Bushmasters.  Had 4 in one mag where it shoved the bullet into the shell.  and the bullet wasn't hanging in the mag, it was on the ramp.  I fed them thru my Rock River with no problem.  Never had any problem with the FMJ's doin that.  Guess it is an individual gun thing.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, same mag worked without a hitch in the second gun, so I wrote it off to the gun.  Will try again with one of my other proven mags and see results.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
3)The very first round I "fired" didn't go BOOM.  Inspection revealed a very light pin strike... this happened several times on a new mag.  Finally, I started pushing the charging handle forward and rapping the forward assist a couple times.  Once, I even had to unload and dry fire a couple times before it would go BOOM.  Is this operator error?

Comments?
View Quote

The rifle was thoroughly cleaned, inspected, and lubed prior to you firing it for the first time - right?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Tate-
Absolutely. I won't shoot a new gun without cleaning and inspecting first. Cleaned with CLP, per the manual that came with the gun (Standard M16 manual c. 1985).  I then reassembled and did the function checks recommended in the manual. Since this is my first AR, I didn't know EXACTLY what to look for, but there were no glaring machining errors like burrs, spurs, cracks, etc.

Cleaned it again tonight and still did not see any odd wear marks or anything that might be the culprit.   Is it possible I just need to "break it in"?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dawg,
I've had the same problem with the 45 gr hollow points in one of my Bushmasters.  Had 4 in one mag where it shoved the bullet into the shell.  and the bullet wasn't hanging in the mag, it was on the ramp.  I fed them thru my Rock River with no problem.  Never had any problem with the FMJ's doin that.  Guess it is an individual gun thing.

Doc
View Quote

Thanks for the reply, Doc.  It looked like the crimped "hollow point" caught on something (feed ramp?).  It's a shame because I had high hopes that I could use the cheap, omnipresent Winchester USA HP's.  Hope I don't see the same with USA FMJ.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top