Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 11:34:59 PM EDT
Howdy, sorta new to this AR stuff.  Anyway, is there any compelling reason to get a carry handle for a flat-top over a back-up sight?  It seems to me there are several drawbacks (extra weight, bulk) and negligible advantages (you'd never actually CARRY it that way, would ya?).
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you definitely going to mount some sort of optic to the rail? If so, then the optic plus the backup iron makes more sense than having a carry handle that you'll never use.

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It might serve some function; if I migrated from my A2 setup right now, my Trijicon Reflex and its carry handle mount would happily ride on top of a flattop carry handle.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]
superfluous.

Dang on big words.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#4]
You are talking anywhere from same price to price of carry handle + $15 to the big dogs GG&G, Knight, and LMT for price comparision of a carry handle versus some other sort of BUIS.  You can't get your fingers in the detachable handle anyways, and if you wanted to, why didn't you just get a carry handle upper in the first place?

So in a long, round-about way, don't bother with a carry handle unless you have some optic that you must have and it must go on a carry handle and cost you the subsequent $85.  I can't think of any optics that are worth that much to me, to want to put two more thumbscrews between it and the rifle.  Just another weak link IMHO.  Plus it looks tacky.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
superfluous.

Dang on big words.
View Quote

yeah i had to read it twice... classes have burned me out!
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
superfluous.

Dang on big words.
View Quote

yeah i had to read it twice... classes have burned me out!
View Quote

I was going to recommend to not use those big words on here!
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the detachable carry handles are a waste for the reasons already mentioned.  Just get a flattop and a good BUIS.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think the detachable carry handles are a waste for the reasons already mentioned.  Just get a flattop and a good BUIS.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have the carry handle, take a hacksaw to it and make a decent fixed BUIS that allows an Aimpoint to be mounted.  Otherwise forget it and get an ARMS #40.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry guys, I'll stick to the one-syllable words in the future. [slap]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#11]
when I see the word 'superfluous' I always think of a superfluous nipple.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
when I see the word 'superfluous' I always think of a superfluous nipple.
View Quote
:)  Which James Bond movie was that?  One of the Sean Connery ones I think.  

From what I've seen, an ARMS#40 is cheaper than a detachable handle from any of the major manufacturers so unless you already have the handle or can get one cheap there's no reason to use a cut-down one as a BUIS.  Unless you need the dial-a-distance elevation wheel, but some of the fixed BUISs have that too.

I got a handle from a board member for $80 so I went that route, but my transitions will be between stages of a 3-gun match (to change classes) so I can afford the time to do the extra thumbscrew.  If I hadn't found the cheap handle I would've just gone with an ARMS.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Th Man with the Golden Gun
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Nipple? Somebody mention nipple!! Ohh.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top