Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2003 7:14:14 PM EDT
In the process of actually getting a personal LEO weapon for duty use.  Currently I check out an MP5 for work everyday but time to buy my own Colt.  

Anyhow, I'm gonna accessorize eventually (when get more money) with an EOTECH 512.  

What I'm wanting to know for now is handguards and lights.

What is the general concensious of the Fobus M44 handguards which have the 4 rails?  Decent setup for a good price  ($100).  I'm not looking to go all out, just a good reliable system thats cost effective.

As far as light, I can get a Scorpion setup for around $70.  I know its not many candlepower, but it provides light.....or course more light power would be nicer.  Opinions on this?  Again, looking for cost effective practical resolutions.

So, please fire away with your suggestions and comments!!!  I know the cliche of if its your life involved its worth getting an ARMS SIR system, EOTECH 551 with night vision, Light with lazer, and yaddi yaddi ya..... ;>
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an M33 and it was a pretty good setup for a vertical grip and light.I'm sure the M44 is much better.I have a Scorpion that I had mounted on the M33 but now use it only as a personal light.They're pretty good lights for the money but for about the same price, you can get a shock-proofed Surefire setup here:[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=173722[/url]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks Redbone!
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I concur with the Surefire set-up.  Keep it simple.  You don't need all that SOPMOD Swiss Army knife add-ons.  I have a Colt LEO with collapsable stock, 16" 1/7 barrel, flash suppressor, no bayo lug, M4 handguards, Hogue grip, and a Colt Model 623 Upper (A1 sights with brass deflector).  I'm going to put some Trijicon night sights and maybe a Surefire tac light down the line.  Our policy doesn't allow for engagement beyond 100 meters so I don't need an optic sight.  Aimpoint would be cool though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Frankly, if it were me, I'd go with the new four-rail Fobus handguards(excellent for the $$$), a good white light light, Smith Vortex G6A1 FH, an EO TECH 552 (something to be said for AA's) and whatever PG fits you best. I've used them all on a full auto 9.5" CQB weapon for both training and demonstration work, exceept the white light.  All have worked fine for over a year now.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Most Important Item:
[b]Good Proffessional Training[/b]

Second Most Important Accessory:
[b]Good Light[/b] For an inexpensive decent light get a Surefire G2 (about $30), the Z32 Anti-Shock Bezel (another $20), and a quick release Scope ring ($5/pair).  This is a decent light and you have the choice of 65 lumen or 120 lumen bulb. (65 is nice for indoor, 120 better for outdoor)

Third Accessory:
This is your EoTech 512 (I got a 552 and its a decent setup).  As your EO Tech use AA batteries you might want to check out my thread on using NiMH batteries ([url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=172500[/url]).  For $20-$30 you can set yourself up with a charger and two pairs of NiMH and ALWAYS have fresh batteries in the sight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Go FIRSH before Fobus.  

My suggestion.  Get a Bushmaster instead of a Colt and spend the extra money to get a Knights rail system.  You will be better off in the long run that way.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the M33 set, and recently moved up to a KAC RAS, and absolutely love it.

The M33/M44's are nice, but you really need to watch what you mount to them.  Any sort of aiming device will be useless, as the fobus kits move just like regular handguards.  There is no way to secure them down to make them steady enough to be able to effectively mount any sort of red dot, or laser, or whatever else you can slap on a rail.

If you just want it for a light and a foregrip, then by all means, go for it.  

I just chuckle every time I see someone complain of a shift in POA every time they pick up their rifle using optics on this system.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 1:10:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Trigger job, street not match.
Weapon light.
Sling, whatever works
Reload.
Tritium front sight.
For a 16" or shorter barrel, a Vortex FS.

You've already got the hard part, a functioning AR.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep em comin!

As far as training goes with em.  Before LEO work I had military background.  After that I shot AR15's often.  During LEO work, we had to complete week long rifle school to carry it and we have to qualify every year with 500 rounds on a training course to keep our rifle status.

You are very correct, proper training is the most important thing.  Cause when these bullets fly, it don't drop or get stopped like a handgun does, they keep going through doors and fly straight much farther than 50 yrds.

What is the opinion on the pressure cord to turn the light on and off verses the tail end button that you push in and hold for light or push harder to click on?  It would seem for dynamic entry that pressure cord light would be easier.

Our MP5's have the pressure cord on em and works nice.  Any opinions on the tail end clicker setup for lights?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you know specifically which Colt you are going to get? Are you going to get a LEO carbine or a civilian postban?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As far as training goes with em.  Before LEO work I had military background.
View Quote

Unless you were attached to SOCOM doing lots of MOUT it really doesn't count.  Using a rifle as an LEO is different from using it in a military setting (I found that out quickly).

Glad to see your dept is taking this seriously (the 1 week course).  

Cause when these bullets fly, it don't drop or get stopped like a handgun does, they keep going through doors
View Quote

I see one area where the training is lacking - and that is with the ballistics of the 5.56 round.  In an urban setting the 5.56 is a better choice to prevent downrange incidents than pistol rounds.  See if the Department can bring in Giles Stock for the refresher training - he has a great section on the 5.56, and its related ballistcs, for his course.

What is the opinion on the pressure cord to turn the light on and off verses the tail end button that you push in and hold for light or push harder to click on?
View Quote

I don't care for the pressure cord.  I had one at one class and kept accidentally hiting it when I didn't mean to (sympathetic or startle reactions).  I prefer the standard push button like on the Surefire lights.  It takes a positive action on my part to activate it.

I'm not crazy about the partial on for momentary and push all the way in for always on.  Under stress I think I would be pressing too hard and keeping the light on longer than intended.  Where my light is mounted if I need it on I can rotate the tail cap with my thumb.

Besides the wire just adds one more point of failure to the system.

Our MP5's have the pressure cord on em and works nice.
View Quote

If that is what your used to, and it works for you, then stick with what you know.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
What are you talking about?

Being in the military you carry your rifle on humps, missions, training, etc all day long everyday.  You have to have strict muzzle discipline and be able to move with the weapon tactically.

Being a LEO you carry it in your squad car and never take it out (unless the crap hits the fan...maybe 1-2x year max).  Its sits in his little gun rack sleeps all day, never being touched or moved with.

They are totally the same...haaa (just kidding).  Thanks for the opinions Forest, good to hear from a fellow brother-in-arms.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#13]
oops sorry...

Colt Govt LEO 6520 (Carbine)- too used to my iron sights!
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#14]
If it were mine:

-Trijicon sights
-Gunsmith action job using stock springs for reliability
-Dedicated weaponlight
-Spare mags (it will come with two 20 rounders from the factory)
-Dewey cleaning rod rather than the sectional USGI cleaning rod

That's about it. It already has an "H" buffer and heavy duty Colt extractor spring so you don't have to improve on that to make it reliable.

I wouldn't bother to freefloat a 200m patrol carbine either, or otherwise pimp it out unnecessarily.

EDIT: www.sawlesales.com stocks new LE6520s for around $795 without FET if I remember correctly. I just donated the funds to my father's PD for them to buy four new LEO carbines. They ended up going with the LE6920 but considered the LE6520 also. If there is even a remote chance that you might mount an optic down the road the LE6920 with detachable carry handle is only $50 more.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What are you talking about?

Being in the military you carry your rifle on humps, missions, training, etc all day long everyday.  You have to have strict muzzle discipline and be able to move with the weapon tactically.
[/qutoe]

I know you know the answer - but for those that don't.  In the Military you are tought movement and tactics that assume you have your buddies (fire team/squad/platoon) to back you up.  The lone officer (or citizen) doesn't have that - it will change how you handle some situations.

Also recon by fire is a great military tactic - very poor idea in the 'civilian' world you now face.

In the Military we did all our shooting from prone & foxhole.  Those aren't as commong in the civilian world.

Some other odds and end - but I think they get the idea.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#16]
The Eotech is good, Get a good light. If your on a budget get a adapter for handguard to mount an M3 light. This way you can use the same light for your pistol and rifle. Get some back up flip up iron sights. I have a buttstock magazine pouch and a one point tac sling.
Pat
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#17]
How are you planning on mounting your light.  If you're just planning on mounting it on the bottom, ACE Riflestocks had a rail that bolts through the handguard and a vertical grip to go with it.  As LE, you should be able to get them for $50-60.  Everything I've heard about the Fobus, is that they aren't good for optics.  As far as light, I'd go with a Sure Fire.  they are the best.  we've got M3's on our pistols and 1 rifle, and they've all started acting up lately.  Here's a picture of my rifle with the ACE Rail and Vertical Grip.  I like the set up a lot and it was not that expensive, especially on an Officer's salary.

[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/15827DSC00465-med.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Jomma,

If you go with a corded pressure switch, just make sure it won't 'activate' when you put your gun up in a case, or lay it down.  It will kill your battery quick.  If you decide to go with the rear button activation type of  light, be sure it will mount on your rifle where your natural hand placement will allow you to easily activate it without making unnecessary hand movements. (hope this makes sense).  I've seen dual cords ran where you can activate with either your hand on the forearm or with your other hand on the pistol grip.  Just in case you need a free hand and light at the same time.  By the same token, if you have a push button on the rear of your light, is it just a dead-man switch or will it stay on with a hard click?  Things to consider.  
 Stay with the 512, unless you plan on using NV. Save the money for quality white light.  Get something with high lumins (factoring in battery life) and a good solid projected beam.  It shouldn't have a huge wash out around the central part of the beam and there shouldn't be a dark spot, or hole in the center of your beam either. You want a concentrated light that will make someone on the other end flinch when it hits them. Sure- fire is great, but a little pricey. Go ahead and make the investment though, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Actually you don't need any accy. Just attend Colt's tactical training for cops. They will have you hip shooting in one afternoon.

[img]http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/copar.jpeg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#20]
bwahhh

where'd u dig up that picture?

I like how his gun is in the holster backwards also......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top