Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2003 11:11:25 PM EDT
Hello all. I had a question about LEO's using Post-Ban AR lowers for Pre-Ban uppers. Is this legal? Will they need to sell the Post-Ban lower and purchase a LEO lower? Many in Law Enforcement seem to be confused about this. Someone told me that if your are LE you can mix Pre-Post.... I wanted to ask all of you here about this to get a second opinion. I currecntly own a LE lower with a Pre-Ban 16" upper and was looking at another LEO's AR for a purchase, however the lower is POST...... I await your comments, BUT PLEASE DO NOT FLAME!!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The lower reciever must be pre-ban if you want the rifle to posess any pre-ban features.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
It's probably like the "post ban" hi-cap mags that are marked LEO/millitary use only, that would be the only way an LEO could "legally" build a pre-ban style rifle on a post ban lower, because the lower would be marked LEO/Millitary use only.  I've seen adds for current made AR's with pre-ban features that were LEO only, if you can find one of those adds in Shotgun News or Tatical Weapons for Law Enforcement give the manufacture a call and ask if the lower is marked special for sale to LEO's only.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I would not buy it, it's a postband....sounds like an illegal weapon.

However..... not sure if it could be made into a LEO lower by having the magazine well engraved  with the "Restricted Military/Law Enforcement use only" and then refinishing the lower.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#4]
(WARNING: Internet opinion worth nothing)

As far as I can tell the only thing that distinguishes a postban lower from and LEO lower is the engraving.

IMI (in my interpretation)An LEO in possession of a postban AR with preban features would not be in violation of the AWB because the AWB does not apply to LEO and military.

There might be an issue with private leo ownership versus departmental.

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#5]
BATF might have a problem with that papertrail, LEO weapons don't have normal forms. Only thing Dept. letterhead states is: the officer has no Domestic Violence convictions and will use the weapon for duty use.  This letter is on file with the FFL holder.

I think departments might be OK, but a personal weapon is an issue.

A department can use seized illegal weapons for oficial use, however I think I remember seeing something about even the department must register a seized class III or short barrel weapons. If I remember right it's a form 10.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top