Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2003 9:32:38 AM EDT
for under $500.00? Are there maybe some cheaper brands that I should stay away from? And where do you guys find all the great parts for them. I looked through the Pictures post and I can't believe what some of you guys have built! Incredible.

I am looking for a new AR, but can't spend a ton on it. So if anyone knows of anything under $500 and you think it's a good rifle, let me know.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Possibly a "used" AR for that price, but you would be better off going with a new SAR for that money.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If your budget is that cheap then follow these guys advice and get a SAR.  An AR-15 is NOT a budget rifle - especially when you have to factor in the costs of magazines in addition to the cost of a rifle.

If you want a cheap realiable rifle than get the SAR.

If you want an inexpensive 5.56 rifle that uses M16 magazines you could look for an Armalite AR-180B or possibly the Kel-Tec SU-16.  Both take AR magazines (so you'll have good availability).  The Armalite should be more reliable than ARs [i]in its price range[/i].  The SU-16 should be avaialble for under $500 if you look around.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the EE there are some good deals on post bans.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
With a budget, I would think about buying a lower first and then doing some research on uppers since they are more expensive and offer more options.
Flattop?
Shorty?
Varmint?
DCM?
I really should have bought a free floating varmint barrel with a flat top for my first AR, instead I got a shorty.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Using Rock River parts and any of the EXCELLENT vendors in the Equipment Exchange, you could assemble a quality AR for under $600.

$375 for COMPLETE upper
$100 for stripped lower
$60 for parts kit
$50 for stock

And even that price could be lower if you shop around...

Buying some of your parts "previously owned"
might get you close to your mark.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok folks, he has a price tag $500.  Lets get him a new rifle, five mags and a case of ammo for $500.  That's easy, SAR!

Why bastardize him with a AR that does not fit the bill.  Granted he can always upgrade, but aren't alot of us here to help those to get things right the first time?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Stripped lower on the EE, around $90.  Kit from Sherluk or Model 1, M&A, etc for $400.  Plus or minus $25 and you can hit the $500 mark.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top