Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2003 10:34:07 AM EDT
O.k.,I've got a collapsible stock and was comparing springs with a few that was laying around. I was surprised to see that there was at least 1" difference in lengths. The longer ones were bought from Bushmaster and they seem to function the weapon better. Is there really any difference? Is this just my imagination on reliability or is this really a problem. I've seen some junk buffers out there,but now springs?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The -23&P lists the proper spring lengths for the rifle stock and collapsible stocks (and yes they are different).  No it wouldn't surprise me that some parts vendors are selling 'junk' parts - Some of us keep mentioning who you buy from is important while the shrills keep saying all AR parts are equal (when its obviously not so).

FYI
Rifle spring should be 11 3/4" to 12 1/2" long
Carbine spring is 10 1/16" to 11 1/4"
Do not try to stretch the spring - replace if it doesn't meet the spec.

- This is taken from [url]http://www.ar15.com/content/books/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf[/url] page 2-14 (page 45 of the PDF file).
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Going out in the drizzle to test fire. I'll report back in a few hours to see if this was the problem. Yeah,thanks Forest for the info from the TM. I just think like a typical man,standardization...now if I can get my wife to do the same special tongue thing as my ex-girlfriend...
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
now if I can get my wife to do the same special tongue thing as my ex-girlfriend...
View Quote

When you figure that out let the rest of us married guys in on the 'how to' [;)]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Drizzle? Hell,it's snowing! Well anyway,new spring (longer of the two) helped. Had only 2 short strokes (surplus ammo) and found a bad magazine. Magazine feedlip on right side is bent down. Ammo would feed o.k. from left ramp. Now I have to look at magazine to see if I dare tweak it. I've seen too many people tweak and BREAK! Back to the shop...
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't bother fixing it.  Remove the guts, smash the magazine, then order a replacement magazines body.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Magazine has been earmarked for recycle...umm...traded at work...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top