Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 9:45:09 PM EDT
How do you turn the front sight post without a special tool or marking up the finish?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The tools should be about $5 dollars and makes it hard to scratch anything.  You can also use a FMJ bullet.  Just be careful.  The finish on your sight post should be really hard to scratch anyway...
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Needle-nosed pliers and a double layer of kleenex.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The little tool that Bushamster, Brownells, or Tapco sells.  Makes things much simpler and quicker.

Monty
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How do you turn the front sight post without a special tool or marking up the finish?  [/quote

The only way, and I mean the only way is (if you have a square post that is) is to make a "socket wrench" out of a piece of plastic rod like an old toothbrush handle.  This can be done with a wooden dowel as well.
First flatten the end and slim the sides so it fits between the sight's protective ears, then drill a 1/16" hole in the center.  I then use a square Swiss Needle File (secured in a vice) to plunge into the round 1/16" hole making it square until it fits onto the top portion of the front sight post (like a socket wrench).
If you have a spare front sight, you can heat it up with a torch and "burn" the square shape into a (wood dowel) round hole as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The little tool that Bushamster, Brownells, or Tapco sells.  Makes things much simpler and quicker.

Monty
View Quote

If you buy the BusHamster tool, make sure you keep it fed and change the wood chips out in its cage once a week. ;-)
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy the tool.  I got REALLY tired of d*cking around with trying to turn it with punches.  My front sight post was a little on the stiff side, but nontheless the tool makes it incredibily easy.  And it's not as hard to nick the finish on the front post as you may think.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
.....with the tip of a round....it's a WEAPON meant to be used and if you keep worrying about getting a scratch on it you'll never learn how to use it.....it's not a Bentley
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
It isn't so much not scratching the rifle as it is just being easier....  I have used the round tip and it sucks as far as trying to turn the site post.  The tool is cheap, it is easy and it doesn't scratch.....

The site tool hands down for me.....

Good Luck..

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
the front sight post should only be moved one time.  after you zero the weapon you shouldn't have to move it again.  If you have to buy a damn tool to move the front sight post you will never make it with this weapon in the field.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
It maybe just me, but I find the FMJ round works a bit better than the tool. Maybe I have a bad tool or it's just all those times zeroing on Army ranges and never having seen a special tool to adjust the front sight. Nothing against it, just don't like the tool.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
.....with the tip of a round....it's a WEAPON meant to be used and if you keep worrying about getting a scratch on it you'll never learn how to use it.....it's not a Bentley
View Quote

Agreed, except for when you are talking about sights.  The TM specifically says that the front sight post must remain dark and have a solid finish.  Anyone who has tried to use iron sights in the daylight with a front post that has no finish knows exactly what I am talking about.

I do agree that the tip of an FMJ round works nicely.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to make a cheesy sales pitch (ok a little cheesy) but we make the best AR front sight tool on the market, 304 pre hardened Stainless and built to last. A normal one last 20 rifles at Rock River, ours is going on over 400 and that is full install not a few clicks, the cheap ones suck (concentricity and size) and we made ours out of frustration from the little bastered breaking a tang off in one of my customers sight. The old 1000 series are good for one drop maybe a drop and bend back (trust me on this) normally $13.00 this is $10.00 to AR15.com members, check em out here:

[url]http://www.rbprecision.com/id14.htm[/url]

Robert
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top