Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2003 8:15:18 PM EDT
I'm tired of my A2 upper and the mini y comp brake on my Bushmaster. I'm thinking of purchasing ($159) a Bushmaster flat top upper (which comes with forward assist and ejection port cover) and having Kurt at KKF perform the following work for me.

1) remove the mini y comp and replace it with a KKF A3 tac brake (fake flash suppressor for $90 installed.)
2) Remove the barrel from my A2 upper and install it on the new A3 upper (gunsmith charge unknown).

I figure this modification would in the end be cheaper than buying a whole new complete A3 Bushy upper ($400), and then having KKF remove and replace the mini y comp brake ($90 installed).

What do you guys think of the feasibility and economics invovled in the changeover. I could care less about waiting for the sunset of the AWB next year and replacing those featues. I know I should have bought the A3 Bushmaster M4gery in the first place. I can't afford to buy another AR to rectify my previous decision.
I figure the entire cost to be at or near $300.
What do you think?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You get a receiver and a lot of work done. Aftermath: $300 spent and one functional upper (of your chouce)

You get a complete upper of your choice. Aftermath: $400 spent and 2 complete uppers.

$100 extra for an entire other upper? No contest! Throw in another $300 down the line when you come into the money & you have a second complete AR.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say to just sell the upper you have, and then buy an entire new upper assembly from Bushmater. Get a PRE ban one. Then take off the flash supressor, and send the upper to Kurt to install the brake. That will save him a little time and work of not having to thread the barrel. He can also remove the bayo lug as well. That how I did my cqb carbine. He did such a good job(as usual) that it looks factory.

That said, your idea is not entirely bad at all. Definitely feesable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are changing out uppers, why buy a complete A3 upper?  If you get a stripped one for $129.00 you could have your forward assist and ejection cover put on from your older upper.

BBetter yet, you can get a mil spec flattop upper WITH RAS numbers on it for $89.00 complete in the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the difference between an A3 & A4 uppers?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

A3=flattop designation by Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS

A4=flattop designation by Armalite and Rock River Arms.

They mean something completely different by the Military.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top