Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2003 7:06:54 PM EDT
HI, Im new to the ar15 and have a colt m4 on order in the meantime Im buying clips.  I just bought a couple of dpms teflons made by labelle. I thought the teflon was more desirable but a gunshop guy I talked to today acted like he''d rather have the actual usgi grey colored clips.  I also thought that the military now uses teflon clips and he said no? Help me, I want to buy more clips but I only want the best!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Clips?...do you mean magazines?

...or are you referring to stripper clips?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The [b]best[/b] magazine is not always the [b]best[/b] looking.  Some of the DPMS mags are a bit overpriced in my experience.  Find yourself some NIW USGI mags made by the likes of LaBelle, Sanchez, Center, etc.  Those are, IMO, the best magazines out there.  

Even if you cannot find some NIW USGIs, you can get some old ones and fix 'em up.  Just make sure that, no matter what make of magazine you get, it has a green follower.  If it doesn't you can replace it with one whenever you want.

For some detailed information about USGI mags check out Troy's Magazine FAQ located in the Magazine section of this board.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
MurdochsM4,
Many people on this site tend to twitch when they hear the word "Clip". It's a word used in movies and rap-songs.
Just some friendly advice.

Having said that WELCOME to the forum!

About your question, see if you can find the answer here: [url]http://magfaq.tripod.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I checked out that fact link and as I thought it says this: "Teflon La Belle mags are widely considered the best of the USGI 30-rounders".  So Teflon DPMS stamped clips, oh $hit, I mean magazines made by labelle are better than standard greys, huh? Plus they come new with green followers.  As far as price I can get the teflons new in wrapper for 25, labelles new in wrapper are also 25 or if you buy 10 of either their 20 a piece.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Where are you buying these mags at?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey,
I found this place called "R Guns" they were in shotgun news. Their website is www.rguns.net it has all the prices. They seem to have the best prices that Iv'e found on Labelles.  I think Ill buy teflons and greys so I have both, they sell green followers for a buck a piece to put on the greys too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#7]
'R Guns'?  This should get entertaining....
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe you should go to their website and see for yourself before you judge.  If you can name a place with better prices on new in the wrapper USGI Labelles, then please do so, Im always interested in getting a good deal.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
RGUNS GAVE ME EXCELENT SERVICE EVERY TIME I DELT WITH THEM AND THEY HAVE HOT PRICES .that being said i could care less where people buy them but the usgi and the teflon LABELE mags both work great the teflon looks to be a better match with the AR's color .to me function is most important and both are flawless in that regard.as far as vendors just use a credit card and if they try to screw you dispute the charges no fuss no muss .
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dang MurdochsM4, welcome to the board.
RGuns and clips all in your first thread![:D]
Beer? Check.
Popcorn? Check.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Next he will ask "What was De Niro's rifle in Heat?"

Oh yes the Teflon is a better finish.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#12]
DEVL, the reason Im asking is because I was at a huge gun shop yesterday talking to a kid that claimed he had grown up around AR15's and know everything and blah blah, and they had about fifty of the damn things on the wall right there, so I figured he knew what the hell he was talking about.

I asked him if he thought the teflons were better and he acted like there was no difference. Then I said doesnt the military use them and he basically took offense and said, "Id have to disagree with you there". So I am getting conflicting reports. Im not an idiot Iv'e had 1911's for years and am very into handguns, Im just new to AR's.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Get you clips at RGUNS. [rofl2]

Welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I just had to...

RGUNS is a sore subject around here.  Some ACCUSE their owner/ffl of some, shady business dealings, at best, and felonies, the worst I've heard.  News clippings et al. The teflons/ "laBelles" they sell have "uncertain" origins.  I've seen/handled/fired, them.  The finish is not the original LaBelle teflon, which I've also seen/handled/fired. Some believe these may be imported bodies re-finished in teflon, or originally made posties, refinished to cover up the post ban stamps.
I've had some troubles w/ the fit and performance of their "labaelles".  I've filed down the feedlips for clearance.  something I've never had to do w/ issue mags.
-Would not trust/buy those particular teflons for my own use!!!!!!!
I would trust CMMG's replacement bodies, excellent fit/finish/performance.
And, LaBelles original teflons.

Theirs also some debate on whether or not the military has ever adopted and issued an NSN or national stock number to the teflon variant of their 30 round magazines.
Most users here report few problems w/ the teflon versions.  They also, however, also report few problems w/ the GI spec, or "dry filml ube" coated magazines.

I've never had problems that could be attributed solely to mags, when dealing w/ the above listed issue/teflons, except the "RGUN" mags.  
Buy US made THERMOLDS, save cash, use only at the range and sleep tight, in lieu of the RGUN teflons.  Buy ISSUE mags for EOTw scenarios, and choose your teflons carefully.  Go to EE for excellent deals and a ton of mag info.

I've tried to clear up as much as I can.  And hope it helps.
Welcome to the site, hang in there, they'll "haze" you and make you earn their trust, but when you have you'll have something worth earning, not something doled out easily.

BTW- DEVL's comment, knowing what I know, wasn't directed at you, so don't take it personally.  It was an offhand comment on how the same questions get asked around here.  He's full of knowledge, and not afraid to get in there and mix it up, to settle an issue or discover the right answer.  You'll love 'em or hate 'em, he's no a fence rider, wouldn't have it any other way.  Sorry if I spoke for ya DEVL, just didn't want him having the wrong idea.  S2

S2
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]
There is not much difference but the Teflon wont rub off on your hands, has better corrosion resistance and holds up better to wear.  The military does not use Teflon, but I will pick a Teflon mag over a moly covered mag every time without even thinking twice.

Edited to add, mine are preban Labelle made for Bushmaster.  I dont know anything about Rguns or their mag issues.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

[blue]What's the problem with R Guns?

They are a great store! Prices, selection and service. . . they can't be beat!!!

I've never had a problem with them nor have I heard any horror stories.

Unless I'm missing something Forest, maybe you should keep unknowing comments to yourself. [/blue]
                 [url]www.rguns.net[/url]

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[blue]What's the problem with R Guns?

They are a great store! Prices, selection and service. . . they can't be beat!!!

I've never had a problem with them nor have I heard any horror stories.

Unless I'm missing something Forest, maybe you should keep unknowing comments to yourself. [/blue]
                 [url]www.rguns.net[/url]

View Quote

He knows what he is talking about, noob. [:)]

Dave S

edit for smilie and..................

IBTL!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#18]
SULAC02-I asked RGuns for the teflons marked with DPMS floorplate, and thats what I got, he said they were made by labelle. They said that they had some "unmarked" Teflons are those the questionable ones your talking about?  I bought one 20rd teflon also that is unmarked, I guess they don't have dpms 20's? I dont see how you could make money by adding a Dpms floorpate and refinishing it and then selling it for 25, thats a lot of work.  Like everyone else here I like the look of the teflons too and they come new with green followers!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]

[blue]OK, fine then. . .

Where is the best place (price, actual product, quality etc.) to buy LaBelle 30 round magazines?

From what I've heard, LaBelle is supposed to be some of the best.

Or am I just a confused "noob" DaveS?[/blue]

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

[blue]OK, fine then. . .

Where is the best place (price, actual product, quality etc.) to buy LaBelle 30 round magazines?

From what I've heard, LaBelle is supposed to be some of the best.

Or am I just a confused "noob" DaveS?[/blue]

View Quote

To answer your last question...YES![:D]

Dave knows what he's talking about.  I personally have had pretty good look dealing with RGUNS in the past.  But, the owner is a real tool as evidenced by his posts on this board, and I have avoided further business with him.  I suggest that you do a search, and you can make up your own mind from there.

And by the way, the best place to search for quality mags, is with the board folks on the EE.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ok, Im gonna bite.  I searched the posts from the last 6 months and found nothing, so what was De Niro shooting in Heat?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Uh oh...

Could someone please point me in the direction of some RGuns info? I was just about to buy some metric FAL mags for a shooting buddy who is a little strapped for cash.

If they shafted this site I'll buy elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, Im gonna bite.  I searched the posts from the last 6 months and found nothing, so what was De Niro shooting in Heat?
View Quote

[lol]

It was an FNC, kinda, sorta like a 5.56 FAL thats so funny!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Wasn't it Pacino who carried the FNC? DeNiro had an M16 variant when he was shooting from the car during the bank robbery scene.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#25]
As a new AR enthusiast it is easy to be confused when reading ads for mags sold by RGuns. They fooled me the first time. Those ads in Shotgun News that say mil-spec, I believe it is, had me thinking they were USGI mags. I ordered a few and got mags with blank floor plates. The sealed in plastic crap listed in the ads is true, but the plastic bags were sealed in their shop. I also found the hand written bill of sale for double the cost of the mags. It was crumpled up and stuck in the equally crumpled packing material making it difficult to find. I believe it took about 4 long distance phone calls to finally get my card credited for the excess charge, along with a bad attitude from whoever I dealt with.

I will admit that the mags I got work fine, so far anyway. The latest ad I saw showed NIW LaBelle's for $25. From my first experience I have to conclude that a conscious effort was made on their part to rip me off. They could have NIW mags for $1 and I wouldn't do business with them again.

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#26]
FYI, the 20rd teflon mags RGuns sells are not tefloned 20rd originals, they appear to be cut down 30rd cause they have a curve to them.  I am not so sure they are original Labelles either.  The original Teflon Labelles I have are GRAY (the ones they made for Bushmaster I believe), and the 30rd teflon mags I got from RGuns are black.

Still, they are nice, I bought lots of the 30rd and 20rd mags.  Teflon, green followers, and they have not cause me any problems yet plus the price wasn't too bad.  They wrote "Mil-spec" for description on the invoice, but as someone pointed out to me, Mil-spec mags aren't teflon coated, so they ain't mil-spec. My thought - who gives a crap?  Normally, you can trust any mil-spec mag (except for a bad lot by a mfg I can't remember).  Others, you have to research and find out - but I'll recommend the RGuns teflon mags.  They also shipped promptly without hassle, but I have also heard horror stories.

Oh, they are also no sealed with NSN (National Stock Number) so I think the rumors are somewhat true, they are new mags that were tefloned and repackaged.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I started looking at my mags really closely after reading all of the comments here.  AND, I notice now as your saying that these teflon mags were sealed cheaply, I could seal them the same way in my kitchen.

Secondly it does have a DPMS floorplate suggesting that it is part of the lot that labelle made for DPMS, which is what the R Gun guy told me; however the floorplate has two scratches showing that it was put on after it was refinished, Im new to magazines but I can't believe that labelle would let them leave the factory with two scratches across the floorplate?

I just placed an order for another teflon and a few Actual military wrapper labelles (which might be the safer bet) and some green followers for them.  The guy was the same as the last order I placed, rushed, but not rude.  My last order got to me on time, but had no packaging so the clips bounced around, but they were fine, no scratches, so I dont really care.  But judging from the rushed tone and no packaging, I can see them ripping you off; but Im happy so far, until I find out that my teflons werent made by labelle, then Ill be pissed!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Secondly it does have a DPMS floorplate suggesting that it is part of the lot that labelle made for DPMS, which is what the R Gun guy told me; however the floorplate has two scratches showing that it was put on after it was refinished, Im new to magazines but I can't believe that labelle would let them leave the factory with two scratches across the floorplate?
View Quote

I am trying to remember correctly, but I know I have seen discussions over such.  I think one story went that there were a lot of extra DPMS floorplates, and they just got slapped onto other magazines.  The other story had to do with those floorplates not being normal DPMS Labelle mag floor plates as something differed such as the size of the writing, or the fact there should or should not have been the panther figure - something like that.  When I ordered them I had a choice of the teflons WITH the DPMS floorplate, or WITHOUT the DPMS floorplate - that in itself speaks volumes.  All this info and more has been hashed out over on the magazine forum.

I still think they are nice mags either way, and my ordering experience was the same as MurdochsM4 - brief, not rude, to the point.

Search the magazine forum for RGuns' "Labelle" mags.  Many thing that they are NOT true original DPMS contracted Labelle mags.  However, if you have the GRAY Labelle mags, you got the real deal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top